Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Ringnecks and other birds...

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Raiquee 
#1 ·
Hello everyone!

I have heard that doves carry a certain disease that can kill other types of birds. Is this true? I want to get a parrotlette but i don't want to if my doves could possibly kill it! Please help me shed some light on this subject..

Thanks!

#4 ·
no i haven't tried googling it yet, i was just wondering if anyone knew because i know there is a couple of ringneck owners here. I wouldn't want to bring in a new baby and my doves give him something.

The only reason i am questioning this really is because when i bought my first ringneck into my home a month or so later i lost my breeding pairs of finches and a parakeet all at once.

I know someone who had a green cheek conure that just took in a ringneck and it just died recently. He tossed the body however, won't get an autopsy done...

#5 ·
I have never heard that. I know several people who keep doves and parrots. I do remember that at one time doves in the household were thought to be possible carriers for Pstticine Proventricular Dilatation Syndrome, but I think it was more anecdotal than anything substantiated by facts. Then again, people were guessing at just about everything in the household because PDS wasn't that well understood in the beginning. I don't think anyone considers doves to be a threat to parrots in the same household.

I like getting several opinions on health issues, so here is a suggestion for another opinion on this: You're going to need a good avian vet as you get more birds, find one now (if you don't already have one) and ask them before you get your new birds.

There are diseases and parasites out there that they can share, so I'd be more concerned with your parrotlet bringing something in that might affect your dove or other animals. As with any new animal brought into an existing collection, you want to keep it in some kind of quarantine to insure that it is healthy and not bringing in any new diseases or parasites.

Always be sure to wash bowls and cage stuff separately, or at least use hot, soapy water. Not just a quick rinse. Don't forget to wash yourself before between birds too, hands especially.

Hope that helps...

Reactions: Jade
#6 ·
Thank you. I know a couple people who have doves with parrots and do fine. I just found this coincidences odd. Sadly my finches i think died because at the time i was living in an apartment and they sprayed chemicals outside for bugs. I think thats what did them in.

As for the green cheek, well he wasn't the -best- taken care of. I love my friend, but the cage was far from clean. It had a pyramid of feces under it's water dish about 6 inches high. So i am guessing this is what did him in, not the baby.

#7 ·
This is what I was told:
Doves can be carriers of Psittacosis, Trichamonas and Histoplasmosis; as well as internal and external parasites. I would have them tested for the Psittacosis and the Trich for sure. And have the vet do a look see for mites and lice, and do a fecal for giardia. I have two pet doves in my home and all of my parrots are fine. I did of course have them vetted and away from my kids for 45 days.

#8 ·
Jodi said:
This is what I was told:
Thank you Jodi! Now, would the doves die if they had this? I've had my doves for about 6 months and they are producing their second set of babies for me.

#9 ·
I am definatly having my birds tested for all these things. Are they treatable if they do carry these? I am really worried now! I know Giardia and mites and lice are treatable, and from what i read on Psittacosis it can be treated even in carriers? And it seems Trichamonas is a parasite? That is the only info i could really see on that. Histoplasmosis i didn't look up yet...

I won't be able to get the doves in until after costa rica, when we get back on the 20th. Actually we are going to call tmw and see if we can't get them in before we go, but we got on Wed....I know the breeders i got them from have other birds and never had a problem..but who knows..I also had a finch next to my dove for the longest time with no ill effects.

Any more info?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.