Rocheal !! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Rocheal !!

Your PM box is full !!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 03:16 PM
Proud New Mommy

Cleared it!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

LOL - Silly girl !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 03:18 PM
Proud New Mommy

hey why dont we talk on here now that u made it??

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Ok....

What are your questions?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 03:26 PM
Proud New Mommy

she is interested mostly in Macaws... Thats what "currently" catching her eyes. She LOVESSSS the Hyacinth but they are...wel.. pricey..

Anyways... I (and she) have looked on so many websites but almost all of them say different things...

She wants a bird that can talk, be able to be left alone for hours on end (8 hour workdays...otherwise the birds going to be with us on our shoulder!!) without getting sad (though she will buy 2 birds if needed be), good with kids (10 yr olds) and a Very well mannered dog (the dog as my avator), a good mimicker (sp?? doesnt look right), beautiful colors..... I think thats about it..

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

This is a really good macaws thread....http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/showt...threadid=10181
Check that one out...I went in to a detail about what they require.

Hmmm, well let me say first that macaws are ALOT of work. They are like having a 2 year old child. I'm not exaggerating either!

Also, there is NO guarantee that a macaw will talk. Some do & some don't. It all depends on the birds personality and if you get a baby there is no way to know if it will be a talker.

Macaws don't like to be left alone for hours on end. Granted, I do work but when you are home they need to be out with you.

Most people don't allow their macaws on their shoulders (Sharon & I do... but I know that we've had territorial problems once they get up there - thats a whole long subject/controversy in the birdie world). lol

Macaws are expensive to purchase and their upkeep is expensive. I've spent $45 for a toy that only lasted 3 days!

They also need fresh food...I make Toby breakfast every morning & dinner every night. So does Sharon. They have to have tons of fresh fruit & veggies & nuts.

It sounds like a smaller parrot might fit what y'all want better. There are SO many different kinds of birds...many kinds that aren't as high maintainence as macaws.

I'm not trying to be negative but they really are a lot of work. Toby gives back to me more than any other animal I've ever had. He is really like my child and he shows me every day how much he loves me.

I've gotta go home but I'll post more when I get there. Hope this has helped some!

Sharon, what do you have to add?

TTYS...
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 04:51 PM
Proud New Mommy

read it....

I can't speak for my stepmom (Denise) but I can say that I would absolutely LOVE to have a Macaw. And Toby is the most adorable... best looking, bright colored bird I have ever seen.

They sound like a lot of fun. We have spoken to a breeder once before and he said the same thing.. Some will say 100 billion things (too many things) and some will say nothing. And that you have no way of knowing what they're going to be like when they get older.

I'm still interested for her- whether it be a Macaw (I'd rather it be !!) or not.

I go to school from about 7:20-4:20 every day (except weekends) and Denise works weekdays 6am-3pm. And is home to entertain the bird any time before/after that....

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 04:59 PM
Proud New Mommy

ill be back... dont go anywhere!

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 05:22 PM
I Wish I Were a Snot Ball Shooter

Hi Rocheal. I agree with everything Jodi said in her post, so I just thought I'd let you know what smaller parrots I like, and why.

One I haven't had any experience with, but I've heard great things about is the Indian Ringneck. They're bright and colorful, and are said to be great talkers. They're not too big, and not too small ... and not nearly as pricey as a macaw.
We had a green-cheek conure where I work, who was just the silliest little guy. He was such a clown, and he learned to say "Whatcha doin'?" within a few months. If Greg would've let me - he'd be mine ! I loved that bird. After he was sold, we got a peach front conure. He was a bit bigger, and really neat looking. He was a little clown too, and always had us laughing. When the people that bought him asked my boss to tame him - she did it within a few days ! Great little birdie ! And last but not least. if they're legal where you live - a quaker parakeet. They're adorable, and they're great talkers, really a fun bird.

Besides being pricey, Hyacinths require a specialized diet - so they're probably the most high maintenance macaw there is. They're also HUGE, and need the biggest cage you can get. I really do love the Blue & Gold - naturally I'm biased, but they're not the biggest, and they're a lot easier to deal with. I've heard they're a lot less of a challenge than the green wing, or the Scarlet. I'm sure they're also easier to find. And they're not just simply blue and gold - if you look back at some of the pictures I've posted (since January), you'll see that Eephus' blue colors are from almost a deep violet to a sky blue. So they're anything but plain. Toby is a hybrid - a cross between the B&G and a greenwing. There are other hybrids that are just as striking and colorful. My hubby likes the color combinations - he thinks Hyacinths are ugly because they're mostly one color.
The mini macaws are less expensive, but they're "all macaw" We have a severe up at work that screams like a banshee and talks a blue streak. So you're gonna get the same bird in a smaller body - which equals a smaller cage, a little less food, etc.

Whatever your choice, you won't be sorry ... if I could have a house full of birds, I would. Eephus is the most fun we've ever had. We tell everyone he's our kid (LOL). He's a kid that will never grow up though. You have to keep in mind, a macaw is like a 2 year old - and they live to be 80 to 100 years old - so it's like having a dependent child for the rest of your life. Not only that, but one that is actually a wild animal, who at any time might attack you and seriously hurt you because it's startled by something. (That's why having one on your shoulder isn't a good idea - that and it's hard to get them off once they're there).

Now, it's Critter's turn. She's dealt with a lot of the other parrots - and may be able to suggest something better for you.

Sharon
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 05:35 PM
Proud New Mommy

lol... wow.. they all sound like wonderful pets...

yes i have heard that the Hyacinth was NOT recommended for unexperiance"ers".

I forgot to mention... She said the bigger, the better. She wants a large bird.. And yeah--- shes been looking at the blue and gold... Yours is beautiful.. I didnt notice yours was one... I thought he was something else. He's also VERY beautiful. I love the colors on his back, very pretty...

Would you recommend one of those? If so... why? and where could I find more info?

(totally off subject but by the way, my dad and denise are OBSESSED with Nascar... They drag me to all the local races in Ten and the one in Atl.... it's insane. She likes dale jr and my dad likes jeff)

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

So, here's my night so far (I know, how exciting, huh?)

As soon as I got home and let the dogs outside, all I hear is "hello? hello? hello? hello?"

So I say "Hold on Tob, I'm coming, give me a second will ya?" (hoping he doesn't pick that phrase up)

He continues with "hello? hello? hello?" until I make it to his cage to let him out.

He immediately gives me a kiss and a "ohhhhh" (I'm wearing a red shirt and he LOVES red). I kiss him back (actually about a 100 times) and sit and scratch his head as we walk in to the bedroom.

He sits on the bed while I change and as soon as I turn my back he runs across the bed to the headboard which he then tries to chew on. I catch him just in time.

I tell him "no chew" and he innocently looks up at me out of the corner of his eye and scratches his head with his big ol foot.

I go back in to the closet (again!) but decide to peek out and see what he's doing. Yup, he's back to the headboard again.

We repeat the "no chew" and innocent look thing about 5 times before I manage to change out of my work clothes. Ugh!

Then it's time to go make dinner...well, Toby doesn't want to get off my arm and makes pathetic baby noises when I set him on his playstand so he can watch me make dinner.

He starts dancing back & forth while I'm cooking.

Hubby calls...I put him on speaker phone so Toby can hear him talk...(yeah, we're geeks & need to get a life)

Dinner's done & I bring him to the table so we can eat. You see, we eat dinner together at the same table. Yes, that would freak some people out and they would say "ewwww" but oh well...

He looks at his plate, ignores it and slowly walks to my plate and steals a carrot. Thief!

He makes an absolute MESS at dinner time & it's a pain in the butt to clean up. Again, oh well.

This is all in the first half hour of being home!

So what's my point to all this rambling??? He's an awesome buddy who I can't imagine not having in my life BUT he's loud, messy, stubborn, persistant, destructive & demanding!
He's also loving, affectionate, beautiful & a honor to have in my family.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 05:45 PM
Proud New Mommy

He sounds like a character! I would LOVE to have him in MY house... I love having patience with animals.... (leaving me with no patience with annoying kids! ) This is making ME want a bird...

ill get over it as long as I can come visit Toby every day!!

anyways... that would be alot of fun for me... though I cannot say anything for Denise. She will be home within the next hour or 2... or 3. And I have already told her to come home and read this. If she can figure it out, she may say something, also.

What would you say, JG, for a blue and gold?

OH YEAH... forgot to add... Rose (the dog up there as my avator)... she hears whoever is on the phone at the time, we put it up to her ear. She hates it. LOL

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 06:43 PM

I'm by no means a bird expert, but I thought I'd pipe in real quick... Have you guys thought about a Senegal? The aren't big, but you get all the parrot stuff for the size of a cockatiel, and they are just as loving as you could want (generally speaking of course). They talk, bond to thier people and as an added bonus are cheaper to buy, house, feed and amuse! Just thought I'd throw that in
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

Well, when I was talking about macaws I was including B&G's. IMHO, B&G's have a more easy going temprement. GW's & Scarlets can be a handful. (so can a B&G though too) B&G's are the most "popular" and are readily available. Harleys, Catalinas & other hybrids can be harder to find. (Toby is a Harley - Harlequin)

Becki's got a good idea...Senagals are really neat birds.

Good luck with your decision! Keep us posted!

Tags
wild animal, wonderful pets