Shhhhh - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2003, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

Shhhhh

I have come to realize that Rocky doesn't know what this means LOL!

Here is a video I took of him doing his usual routine... it seems kinda quiet though so you may need to turn your volume up if you can't hear it.
Him knocking of the bars is a mating sign for male tiels trying to attract a female (so far Pebbles is not impressed with him )
towards the end of the video he does his puppy cry... Mr Pathetic he is!

if one link doesn't work try the other. I saved it in 2 different formats hoping you can see either way!

Link 1 - wmv (windows movie video)
Link 2 - mpeg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2003, 09:34 PM

Cool! Great video! I didn't know about the knocking the bars thing - how interesting!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2003, 09:49 PM
I Wish I Were a Snot Ball Shooter

I agree - that's interesting. How neat to have caught that behavior on video!

I love their cage ... Jodi and I were just discussing the other day how Toby and Eephus rarely use the bottom half of their cages, so having more horizontal space would make more sense than having a "tall" cage ...

They look like they've settled right in with you!

Sharon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2003, 10:07 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

awwww!!! That's a great video - he sounds so cute! I didn't know that about the bar banging either.... I've seen Dweezil doing it on one of his toys while singing a similar type of what I call 'tiel-songs. Pebbles looks like she could care less

I really enjoyed watching that!!
While it was playing my husband started looking around the room puzzled....
looked at me - finally looked at my screen and cracked up laughing, saying "OMG! I knew I heard cockatiel - but Dweezil is asleep in his cage, I got all confused!"

[center]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2003, 10:22 PM
PT's Troll Hunter

Wow!! Thanks! Ya know, Abe always shakes his head and bangs the bars of his cage, ... Maybe its the mating thing too... hmmm?

hahaha

I love your birds!

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2003, 10:30 PM

Great video! I turned up the volume to make sure I could hear it, and Floyd starts whistling! What a hoot!

Thanks for sharing!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2003, 11:42 PM

How cute! He looked like he was trying to say something important and banging his beak to make his point, lol!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2003, 11:48 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

after I submitted my reply the house was very quiet - no one is home... I start hearing Dweezil singing in the kitchen! He must have heard Rocky singing and he piped up too!

Kay - you started a domino effect cockatiel sing-along LOL

Dweezil and Floyd singing with him Too cute!

[center]

[
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2003, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

I'm glad everyone enjoyed it! I figured we see many "pictures" but not as many videos, so what the hey.

Sharon, don't jinx me now I am actually in process of making them a bigger cage, same width & depth but 4 feet tall.

Everytime I play that Rocky will pipe up again as well... now if only we could get Toby & Eef to sing along!

As far as mating signs go... usually to attract the female the male will *sing* to her in a VERY high pitch tone (almost ear piercing), he will also *knock* on the bars of the cage or perches, and will ettempt to *seduce* her by scrouching close to her while singing.
If she finds him amusing & accepts his efforts she will allow him to *preen* her & sleep right up next to her, which all leads into the actual act of mating. Quite often though a female will ignore a male, even if she is interested, if there is no nesting box provided.