Shy Parakeet - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2004, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Shy Parakeet

Can someone help me with my parakeet?
I've had him for about three months now and he wasn't tamed when I bought him. I tamed him to go on my finger, but he still won't go out of his cage to fly around when I let him. Sometimes I have his cage open for three hours and he doesn't come out! I know he's not scared because he sings and squawks away. When I try to take him out, he grabs onto his cage and hops back onto his perch. What should I do to make him come to me? He also doesn't come for treats. But when he is out, he loves climbing all over me and grooming my hair. What is wrong with him?!?!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2004, 11:12 PM

theres nothing wrong with him you only had him three months it takes time for any bird to trust you , does he have a play gym on top of his cage things to play with and eat and drink might want to get one for him to learn its ok to come out , its like training a dog to play where they need to takes time
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your help

Yes, he does have a play gym, but no food or water when he's outside. I'll have to try that. I guess you're right about the trust part. Thanks. Also, is it normal for parakeets to talk to their mirror ten hours a day?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 08:52 PM

if he is alone yes he will talk to his mirrow ten hours a day i sent one of my babies t o my mom and she talks to her mirror every second of the day but she is happy. just keep working with him he will come around good luck
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 11:25 PM

My parakeet is a complete agoraphobe. She will not come out of her cage at all! She loves to play with my hand and will give me kisses through the door opening but in five years she has refused to come out. Also watch with those mirrors. I recommend removing it completely, especially for the time being. If he is talking to it then he is bonding with his birdie relfection making it harder to leave the cage and trust you. I bet if you removed the mirror and continued working on the trust he'll come out of the cage in no time and bond to you. I had the tiniest mirror in the cage with my budgie. It could only have been a half an inch in diameter so I thought there would be no harm. She got so attached to her reflection she started laying eggs, for the five years I've had her I thought she was a he. I took the mirror out right away and haven't had anymore eggs since.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2004, 08:35 AM

I agree with Dena. Well said Dena.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2004, 11:26 AM

Why thank you Miss Jodi!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys! That was a lot of help, but I feel like my birdie's gonna get sad if I take away his mirror. He gets so sad when I take it out or he's not near it.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2004, 11:58 PM

Smile

Maybe you could put his mirror up with his gym along with his food. If he will come out for his food and mirror, he just might find out there are more things for him to do outside of his cage.
When I first got my quaker, he did not want to come out of his cage. I put his toys and food on top of his cage. Now he goes all over the place.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys! I will try that, and it seems logical. It just mught work!