So, is my budgie a boy then? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-06-2004, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

So, is my budgie a boy then?

I've had a white budgie (blue tummy) for over a year, and his/her cere has never changed from its original lavendar color. So I'm guessing my birdie (named Snowy) is a boy????

I'm going to try to find a budgie friend for Snowy once we move into our new house. Should I get another male or does it not matter?

Thanks so much,
Angie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-06-2004, 10:06 PM

Just in case, when you do get your new budgie, have two cages. The budgies might never ever get along with each other be it male or female. Look into albino budgies. I've heard something about albino budgies cere color never changing. Although your budgie does have a blue tummy, it might be a mutation. You might try DNA sexing to be absolutely sure.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-07-2004, 10:40 AM

My budgie was a boy for 5 years. I thought since his cere was lavender turning blue at the ends it was definite, then I put in a little toy with the tiniest mirror he fell in love with himself and laid eggs! Apparently the cere was not blue enough to be a boy! So now he is a she. I have read some articles that with all the color mutations now the cere's are also "mutating" their colors and sometimes you just cannot tell. I completely agree with Zion that you should DNA sex the bird to be absolutely sure before you get a partner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dena
My budgie was a boy for 5 years. I thought since his cere was lavender turning blue at the ends it was definite, then I put in a little toy with the tiniest mirror he fell in love with himself and laid eggs! Apparently the cere was not blue enough to be a boy! So now he is a she.
Oh my! That must have been a funny surprize! So I guess you had to change her name... That is cute that it fell in love with its self!
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 01:31 PM

No actually the name still fits. Her name is Pinot which everyone thought was too feminine for a boy so that's what I get LOL!
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 02:31 PM
Miss New Booty

I have a budgie named Snowy, too!! Also, I have an albino budgie named Casper. I took Snowy to the vet in December, and had Casper along too. Although the norm is the blue cere for a boy, it's not certain, like everyone said and Dena found out after 5 years! When talking to my vet, he looked at Casper and Snowy both and their cere's were a little of both! So, a DNA test would I guess be the only sure way to know. Well, I know Snowy is a girl, she is my egg layer.
Dena- Has Pinot layed any more eggs?

~* Jackie *~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 02:51 PM

I always give my birds names that will be ok for boy or girl if I don't know for sure. Its good you had a name for her that fit her.

I have a friend that named her boy cat Ginger and her girl cat Dusty. I don't know if it was an accident. I guess the can be for boy or girl too.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygurl823

Dena- Has Pinot layed any more eggs?
When I redid their cages I took that toy with the tiny mirror out and she hasn't laid an egg since, maybe she decided to go back to being a boy again!
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 05:29 PM

Dena, maybe pinot decided that laying an egg is not that much fun and decided being a boy was less painful! LOL!

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 04:34 AM

!!
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Zion, if that's a picture of your bird next to your name, I have something to say to your birdie:

You are one gorgeous birdie! Beeeuuuuuuutiful!!!
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 07:42 PM

Oh! Thankie! Yes, it's my parakeet Tliatl.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 08:42 PM

how loud is a single parakeet? I know they do that really soft chattering noise, but do they scream loudly often?
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 01:20 PM

No. Not really. I've noticed my budgie is mostly noisy when I 1.) come home and 2.) when the sun rises. When I got my lovebird he got louder because he talks to the lovebird alot. But no, my budgie is not exceedingly loud. Of course, he has his moments. When he's scared he screams and when he's really excited he screams.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 02:52 PM

Thanks Zion! I know when i handle parakeets at work they don't make a peep! But when they are in their cage they talk and talk and taaaaalk

Tags
vet clinic