Still flying and biting - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Princess in Waiting

Cool Still flying and biting

Little green bird has to be held constantly if he's out of his cage or he is OFF! Today he flew away while I was fixing his food (and he was in my shirt pocket!) and I lost him. The dogs were all standing around with that "What bird?" look on their faces. Ceiling fan was on in the living room - I know, that's a big no-no but I wasn't thinking. Finally found the little s**t behind the TV - which meant moving some furniture to get him out!

And he BITES!! I talked to the breeder to night and she said it is very normal, just trying to figure out the "pecking order" (as you said, Dena). I'm a little concerned about the rat poison in my system, although he has yet to actually draw blood when he bites. I do have scabby kind of places that show up later.

We went to PetSmart and the best investment I made there was one of those fuzzy huts. Since purplee is one of my favorite colors I bought a purple - only to get home and read the instructions that say to buy one the same color as the bird. Oh well, they didn't have green. Poor Frosty didn't get one - mean Mom! I'm sure I'll be back up there soon.

It's about picture day around here for the birds - I'll post pictures when I take them.

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 10:17 PM

I have never heard that about getting those snuggle hut in the same color as the bird. I had them but none of my birds took to them. My senegal does like his little stuffed bear though. Besides, how many pet birds do you know of that are actually purple (except the female eclectus - I prefer green parrots myself and am absolutely in love with Henry by the way!)

And hurry up with those pics!

Also you might want to do a half clip on the wings. That way they can still get some height but cant "fly off".
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Princess in Waiting

Cool

I think I like Erin's suggestion of a rubber band better!

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 02:38 PM

Sounds exciting around there.

I have some friends who have a blue-headed pionus(sp). They named him dork, so that he would call people dork when he says his own name. He is a cute bird, but boy does he have an attitude. They just got his wings clipped, but they used to let him fly all over the house. He is nice to the man but mean to the woman. Their vet explained that this is probably due partially to the height of the cage. The woman is always lower or at eye level with the bird whereas the man is always taller than the bird except when he flies to a higher vantage point. The wing clipping has tamed him down some, and I think they plan to shorten the cage.

If you see a new member on PT by the name of Dork, that is my friend. Say hi for me.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Princess in Waiting

Cool

I think the height thing was part of my problem with Piper (along w/my health issues). Bubba is a bit over 6 ft tall and I'm 5'4" - so he was naturally the tallest and most likely in charge. In her cage she and I were close to eye level, so I was always a threat.

The little parrotlet is about to earn a name - PITA - stands for Pain In The A**. You wouldn't believe the nips and scratches I have!

CRITTERCALL

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 02:49 PM

I like that name. It is fitting but covert.