Talk - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-14-2004, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Talk

:blob4: Hi I have some questions on how to make a bird talk. Well how exactly do you do it? Do you just sit in a quiet place and repeat the word over and over? Will they know what it means once they learn it? How many words are they usually known to learn? How do you teach them sentences? Oh and if you have some voices from your or a bird like on a website...thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-16-2004, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animaluver2
:blob4: Hi I have some questions on how to make a bird talk. Well how exactly do you do it? Do you just sit in a quiet place and repeat the word over and over? Will they know what it means once they learn it? How many words are they usually known to learn? How do you teach them sentences? Oh and if you have some voices from your or a bird like on a website...thanks!

First and foremost you cannot make a bird talk. It just doesn't work that way. If the bird wants to be a talker , then it will be. And there are certain species known for talking abilities more than others. IE African Grey , Blue Front Amazon , Quakers ect...
The best way is to just talk to the bird as you would a human child. They can very easily say sentences too. My Blue and Gold Macaw has over a 350 word vocabulary (very lge for a macaw I might ad too) and also says about 50 different phrases. You do not have to go in a room alone. Actually , birds are flock animals by nature and thrive on being a part of one. The room in your house that you spend the majority of your time in should be where your bird (s) are too. Like I said , talk to them as you would a human child. I have found that to be one of the best methods to teach talking over the years. Hope this has helped you some. I am very experienced with birds and many other types of animals normal and exotic and will glady answer any and all questions you may have on them.
Peace,
Mel
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-16-2004, 10:44 PM

Talking ability depends on the species as well as the individual bird. Some species of parrot are known to be talkers but that doesn't mean that you can't teach others to talk as well.

Teaching a parrot to talk takes a lot of patience. It usually involves repeating a word or phrase over and over again. Your parrot can also pick up other things as well without any reinforcement at all. It is really up to the individual bird.

You can teach birds to say things on cue. Certain intelligent species, such as African Greys, can sometimes use phrases in context without being cued. Parrots can also learn whistles and noises as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-16-2004, 11:25 PM

any bird can talk only if it wants too it is the birds choice and thats what we found out i have 27 including parakeets i have one parakeet whoi can talk in sentences and we understand her fully we also have conures and each one talks in sentences all we did was talk to them like wew would do with people and we never sat there repeating the words except we love you and pretty bird but they dont say thoses they say night night hello kiss kiss whisky cold one ect and no we didnt teach them whisky or cold one they just picked it up some where , good luck
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 06:50 PM
Eli
Movin' Up in the Pack

Just keep talking "human to her" and she will pick it up or he will, if they are going to . Also be careful wh at you say around it. Eli, my tiel, picked up some not so good language from my neighbor

Tags
african grey, gold macaw