Tiel Breeding - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Lovin' my pack!

Tiel Breeding

Well,here I am all this time tryin to get my keets to breed,and I seen my pair of cockatiels mating earlier!!!

I had nothing set up for them to breed,they even have another roomate in the cage with them.I also only aquired them a couple weeks ago.

Well,upon reading up on tiel breeding,it seems as if their pretty much the same deal as breeding keets,I actually heard from some,that breeding tiels is harder,and some say its easier than keets.

I will be giving them a nest box today.
I'm going to move the one into another cage,to give them their space,and prevent any other problems.
I have to get cuttlebones and mineral blocks and set up as if it were a keet breeding setup.

I am looking for any other advice I can as to breeding a successful clutch of tiels.

"Not for human consumption"- Peas in a Pod

Visit Peas in a Pod page on Facebook...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 07:45 PM
Headlock

well i dont think they need the mineral block mine dont have one. and is there bedding in the box?

No don't get yourself in situations,
Darling, that you can't handle.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Lovin' my pack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaPaws23 View Post
well i dont think they need the mineral block mine dont have one. and is there bedding in the box?
well i have the cuttlebone,i dont have the mineral block in it,but its only like a buk or so,so i don't want to chance anything..im gonna get one hopefully in a few days.And I did put shavings in the box,same stuff as the keets,and the plastic egg too.I read one site though that said not to use that cuz it could hold moisture and mold,but thinkin thats when the babies are in there already and they poop..i def will be cleaning them when theyre bout 10 days old.I'm not experienced with newborn chicks,and know your not suposed to touch them,even though I've seen you hold yours at a few days old,You know your keets.These tiels are still fairly new here.Anything else???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 08:20 PM
Headlock

cockatiels are more protective over there eggs then budgies are and are more prone to crop infections then budgies

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Lovin' my pack!

Quote:
cockatiels are more protective over there eggs then budgies are and are more prone to crop infections then budgies
Yes i've heard that too about being more protective.Spitfire won't even move if I open the cage to clean or feed now,i'm hoping they both will trust me when the time comes,and as for the crop infections...I guess i still have some research to do on that topic.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 09:06 PM
Headlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8rchik13ny View Post
Yes i've heard that too about being more protective.Spitfire won't even move if I open the cage to clean or feed now,i'm hoping they both will trust me when the time comes,and as for the crop infections...I guess i still have some research to do on that topic.
Yea I quess u will also I read if you touch there babies the parents will abandon them

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Lovin' my pack!

Quote:
Yea I quess u will also I read if you touch there babies the parents will abandon them
It's like that with parakeetts too,but whats the age where you can safely handle them without the abandonment worry??

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 09:33 PM
Headlock

Quote:
It's like that with parakeetts too,but whats the age where you can safely handle them without the abandonment worry??
No on budgie babies you can touch them wen here first born but it's not advised I handle them when there older because I don't want to hurt there tiny lil cute bodies

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Lovin' my pack!

Quote:
No on budgie babies you can touch them wen here first born but it's not advised I handle them when there older because I don't want to hurt there tiny lil cute bodies
well,i guess like yours...when they start gettin lil feathers,or the fluffy down...it'll be safe.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 09:37 PM
Headlock

Quote:
well,i guess like yours...when they start gettin lil feathers,or the fluffy down...it'll be safe.
If you think so so what baby do u want =p

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 09:48 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Why were you even trying to breed your budgies to begin with?
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Lovin' my pack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlickeringHope View Post
Why were you even trying to breed your budgies to begin with?
I don't know what kind of answer I could give that won't start controversy.My friend has been breeding for years,and inspired an interest within me to breed.I do love the colors and seeing them from egg to grown.I bred cockers in the past,and will be later this summer.Everyone has a different reasoning.I can only say that the life I bring into this world will be well cared for.Her baby keets she chooses not to keep,already have a home.Mine too if I ever successfully have any.We wouldn't do it just to do it.We are responsible about it.My tiels were unexpected at this time,as I said before,they have not been enticed to go into condition in any way.They are new aquires and are being worked with to be handleable companions first and foremost.I have a home already for one of the tiels,before even any eggs.I am a stay at home mom,that can dedicate the entire day to the care of all my animals.