Toby broke a flight feather! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Toby broke a flight feather!

Oh my, my Tobster broke a blood feather!!

Yesterday I noticed Toby lost a flight feather (wing feather) and when I picked up his feather I saw it was bloody. I took him inside and looked at his wing. Sure enough, he had broken a flight feather and it broke really far up. My heart kicked into overdrive. For those of you that don't know a lot about birds... they can't lose a lot of blood before it's critical.

Unfortunately Kenny was working and I was home alone. I had to run over to my neighbors and grab the only available person, a 15 yr old girl. I told her she had to come over and help me hold my bird down so I could get the bleeding to stop. I got the bleeding to stop but within a half hour it had started again. I was able to stop the bleeding 3 times but I knew the feather needed to come out. Without Kenny here, there was no way I could restrain Toby and pull the feather. Not to mention that I was starting to freak out.

The neighbor girl tried to help but I didn't feel I could rely on her to properly help in this situation. I called Stephanie, who you all know works at a wonderful 24 hour emergency vet. Toby has been seen there before as was Bach (GSD). She told me to come down, they would be waiting for me. It's 42 miles away and I made it in 45 mins. Oops, glad I didn't come across any cops.

Once at the vets, they pulled the feather and stopped the bleeding. Thank god. I was a wreck let me tell you. Oh and it only cost $52!! Awesome, huh? Although it probably took 2 years off my life just by the stress alone.

You know whats cute though? Do ya'll remember how Toby had a crush on Steph? Last time she was here he was ALL over her peekabooing and kissing her (remember the pics I posted?) Well, when she took him in the back room of the vets I heard a nice loud PEEK A BOO. She said he also played kissie face with her. He remembered her! It's been a few months since she was here, but that kid sure likes her. My boy is SUCH a flirt!!

We're all fine now thankfully. Toby's been a little quiet today but I don't want to get him riled up. He's getting his favorite treats and I gave him a new toy to chew on. He watched a movie with me this morning and just wanted to cuddle.

And I'm so thankful for my friends Debie, Dani & Steph that helped talk me down and calm me when I was in panic attack mode. LOL!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 12:50 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I was just about to call you and see how he was! I'm glad he's doing better today. I hope he doesn't associate the vet with me next time, but I was glad I could be there.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 12:52 PM

I am so glad he was okay! I can imagine how paniked you were! Way to go Steph and friends for helping her! Give Toby get well smooches from all of us!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 02:05 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Aw, I'm so glad he's okay!

So, is this true of all birds? If a feather is broken and bleeding it needs to be removed? Are people at home normally able to pull it out or do you recomend going to a vet?

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 02:10 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

wow I'm glad Toby is okay! I bet you were freaking!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 02:14 PM

With the right type of experiance you can pull feathers on your own, but you need to know what your doing! I had to do it a couple of times to a couple different tiels. They seem to be one of our more nervous birds, getting night frights the easiest and all, they ALWAYS seemed to bust one open :\

I'm glad Toby, and you of course, are alright! I know how stressful it can be when your fid is in trouble and they can't do anything about it..
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 03:26 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Aww, poor Toby! Hugs to both of you!

How cute that he remembered Steph!

Rhonda

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 03:52 PM

Thank goodness Toby is ok. That has happened to me many times. It is so nerve wrecking!

It has happened to me once when i was home alone and as you can imagine, It DIDNT go well. I had to call my mom and she couldnt come home so i had to call my brother (vet-tech) And of course I didnt know his work number. So I called my mom back and she gave it to me. So I called his work and the person who answered the phone had to find him. So he called him over the intercom and about ten minutes later he came on the phone. So I told him the story. He came home and basicly saved Joey's life. (And she is the little bird!)
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 04:24 PM
Poo dont scare me!!!

Jodi Im glad he and you are ok!! What a scare. I never knew that about birds. Im sure glad that he is all fixed up...and how cute that he remembered Jade!

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 06:47 PM

I am so glad that he is o.k that had to be terrifying! Poor baby! Glad Steph works at such a great clinic!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lixx
So, is this true of all birds? If a feather is broken and bleeding it needs to be removed? Are people at home normally able to pull it out or do you recomend going to a vet?
Yep, all of our pet birds can and probably at some point will break a blood feather. If so, it does need to be removed. If you can get the bleeding stopped, the bird may pull it themselves but I would never rely on them to do it. They might just pick at it and get it bleeding again.

I could've easily pulled the feather myself IF Kenny would've been home. We're used to restraining Toby and have a little system down. If I would've had a birdie friend close by, they could've helped too. Toby's just SO big that you need one person to restrain him and one to pull the feather. It's just not possible for one person. A little bird, you could do it... depending on your circumstances, experience and of course the bird. If you have a vet nearby, I would definitely recommend going to the vet to have it done. If it's the first time, you can watch the vet or vet tech and see how they do it, so you'll know for next time.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 08:52 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I'm glad Toby's ok! You must have been so scared!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Tags
emergency vet, vet tech