Toy Making - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2004, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Toy Making

Went shopping last week and between the bird store and the dollar store we got lots of great stuff to make toys. It will definitely save us money since Toby goes through toys like crazy.

We have a drill press too so my hubby can do that while I string 'em.

Here's a shot of some of the stuff we bought.

Close up. The chain is the big kind (10mm 3 inch), the only one Toby can't easily chew through!

Finished toy!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2004, 04:55 PM
I Wish I Were a Snot Ball Shooter

Geezum !! That'd take Eephus 10 years to go through. Of course, I'd have to break that big toy down to about 4 smaller toys so he wouldn't be afraid of it !
Why are my kids all so weird ???
What're those cool looking thingamajigs on the right - in front of the Whiffle balls ???

Hey ! I see rubber duckies! Didn't Manto steal one of those ??

Sharon
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2004, 05:01 PM

Those are great Jodi. I'm gonna make some bird toys and chinnies toys here too..once i get around to cleaning this wood.

We have Cholla and Manzanita growing wild all around us. I just have to clean it and bake it. That's the fun stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2004, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

Sharon, those come from the dollar store, in the baby section. Toby LOVES 'em. He bites off every single one of the long skinny multi colored plastic things. Then he goes to work on the duck (there's a small rubber duckie in the middle of it). I wonder what Eefie would think of 'em?

Oh and I'm hoping Toby will make this one last at least 2-3 weeks. A month is way too long to ask for!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2004, 09:24 PM

That is such an awesome looking toy. You guys sure are creative.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2004, 12:49 PM
PT's Official Law Breaker

That is a COOOOOL toy! Was that dollar store, The Dollar Tree? I recognise a few things LOL (Spend way too much time there...LOL and they have just built the hugest Dollar Tree I have ever seen in a nearby town.)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2004, 01:38 PM

Wow! Look at all that! I know you must have one VERY happy bird! We make our own chin toys (although I do have to buy the wood, but I reuse the chains and bells when (Jetta and Sage) go through them every week. The other chins aren't such aggressive chewers, but those two could go through a large chin chew toy in a matter of days! Bells-a-ringing all year long!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2004, 02:18 PM
Miss New Booty

Wow, Jodi! That is an awesome toy!!!!!! Cool, I really should check out the dollar store for some of these things!! I made a couple toys before with things we got at the Bird Store, but they were tiny compared to yours!

~* Jackie *~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2004, 06:30 PM
I Wish I Were a Snot Ball Shooter

NOW, you need to go out and take a picture of the ground under his tree - let everyone see what becomes of all these toys !!

Sharon
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 12:00 PM

That looks awesome jodi! What kind of string do you use and where do you get that chain?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

We strung it together with some rope we got at the dollar store. They sell it in blue & pink. I usually buy a half dozen bundles. I cut off approx foot long sections and randomly tie them on the toy. Toby likes to preen the rope.

The chain we got at a bird store but I have since found a place to order it for much cheaper (we paid $5.50 for each 2 foot section!). But most bird owners won't need the heavy duty chain like that, you can use the cheaper 6mm chain. At Lowe's home depot you can get the 6 mm chain in yellow and white for approx .40 a foot. If you want it in colors, you'll have to get it at a bird store (usually a rip off) or order online.

Toby's big beakie loves to chew and will amaze you how quickly he *ruins* a toy. It's the GreenWing in him I guess. I see small birds toys and get green with envy thinking how cheap it would be! And Sharon's right, underneath Toby's outdoor play tree is a mess of red, pink, yellow, blue pieces of plastic and wood!! LOL I have to rake under his tree to get rid of the toy parts once a week.

Oh and you're right Sharona.... Kenny gave Manto one of those rubber duckies. He doesn't chew it, just cuddles it! GEEK!

Tags
bird toys, chew toy