Travelling with a Budgie (part 2) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Travelling with a Budgie (part 2)

Beekle had no problems with a four hour car drive. On the way up he was a bit tense for half an hour (head up, looking around, squeaking occasionally) but he eventually relaxed and starting moving around a bit. Toward the end of the trip up he was hanging from the ceiling looking out of the windscreen while I drove along at 80mph.

On the way back he was much the same except (and this is odd) as we neared my home began to squeak a lot and even chatter. I got the impression that he knew we were nearly home. I can't quite see /how/ he knew though. I didn't think Budgies migrated or were noted for the navigational talent. For a bird that spends all its time in a modern, mostly sealed house, travelling in an airconditioned car set to recirculate air I really don't see how he knew we were nearly home.

Once home I put his cage on the stand, opened the door..and he shot out to his favourite mirror. At my parent house where he spent a little over a week he flew a bit but not much. As soon as he got home he obviously recognised it and settled right back in.

Perhaps Beekle isn't as daft as you might expect
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 02:09 PM

That's awesome!

My birds hate cars, you got lucky! I thought budgies don't have migration instincts...whatever. I'm glad Beekle did very well. How was the trip for you?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millimi
That's awesome!

My birds hate cars, you got lucky! I thought budgies don't have migration instincts...whatever. I'm glad Beekle did very well. How was the trip for you?
It wasn't too bad. I took things a bit more carefully than normally (not that I'm reckless anyway - I'm an advanced driver) but I was extra careful not to throw the car around too much.