Photos! Upside down clown 'tiel - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Upside down clown 'tiel

I have a 1 year old pied cockatiel named Isis. I have some pictures of her below. The lutino is my brother's bird Buddy. I haven't been able to catch a picture of her upside down yet, but I'm going to keep trying!

For some reason, this little thing LOVES to play upside down!
She will get the swing located next to one of her perches going back and forth and then jump on it, flip upside down, and swing with her wings outspread.

She will also flip upside down while hanging on the cage and then proceed to fight with one of her toys that spins and with beads inside to make it rattle and bells attached on the ends.

She likes to flip upside down and flap her wings while on the side of the cage as well.

She's healthy and there doesn't seem to be any negative side effects from her clowning around so I don't think shes hurting herself.

It's just rather funny.

So what about the rest of you, have any 'tiels that love to hang upside down? Or have any other amusing quirks?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPIM0474.jpg (68.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0415.jpg (79.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0406.jpg (87.0 KB, 11 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 07:42 PM
Hello Earthling

Cute

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 09:14 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Pretty birdy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 09:01 AM
RAT ADDICT

I don't have birds,but that is really cute!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

She's a quirky little thing. She's been proving me wrong every time I try to show people the tricks she knows. She gets too excited when new people are around. I guess that's my next thing to work with her on!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 09:15 AM
Betta Bomb

Thats nice I like when people actually let their birds out of the cage to play :/ Awesome!!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 08:20 PM
Adolescent Pup

Pretty Bird. My Sister breeds cockatiels and hand feeds them. I think at one time she had 14 in her house. My neace was going through a very rough patch with some illness we thought we were goign tot loose her and the bird she called baby saved her gave her somthing to nurture and love pulled her through and returned the love just as much.

It,s Good to be alive!

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I couldn't have an animal that only sits in a cage! I had a Russian dwarf hamster that turned vicious and couldn't be handled no matter what I did. I felt horrible because I couldn't take her out of the cage to play and I made sure I did my research on birds before I go my first cockatiel Soren. I didn't want to be uninformed and unable to tame my bird.

He was traumatized before I got him and I couldn't handle him without him drawing blood, but I found out afterwards that he had a piece of his beak broken and the pet store that had claimed he was a young bird and capable of being tamed had lied. He was at least 2-3 years old rather than the 6 months they claimed, and he was owned and then sold back to the store before I bought him. I think I probably could have tamed him with a lot more gentle care, but sadly, he passed away while I was on a weekend trip. I had a friend petsitting him and she claimed the dog knocked down his travel cage and the stress killed him. I think she forgot to close the door and her cat got to him, and she just blamed the fall of the cage so I wouldn't get mad at her.

Some neighbors from my childhood gave me Isis as a weaned baby from their aviary and she was a completely different bird! She took to me right away and I was able to work with her every day. Now I can take her out to play and let her fly and bond with me. I just have to make sure she doesn't harass my dog. She likes to chew on Silverbell's ears. They are jealous of each other even though I'm careful to play with them both equally.

I don't think I could have another animal that I can never handle or allow out of the cage. It is just cruel (unless the animal is one that does great left by itself in a tank), and I would far rather have a pet that I can interact with and spoil than one that I can't even touch.

As for your niece and her bird Rat Man Doo, I'm glad a pet's love could help her! My dog was a mother hen when my dad was sick with cancer and when I had my tonsillectomy. Isis is a little clown when she knows I am not feeling good.

Last edited by spirithawk06; 11-07-2009 at 01:16 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 05:45 PM
Newborn Pup

One of my cockatiels(one year old) also LOVES to be upside down. Its the weirdest thing. Any chance she gets she will be upside down. To get a treat, to pick up a ball, to tease the other tiels, even on my finger she will swing upside down and stay like that! Good to see im not the only one with a wierd tiel!!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I was beginning to think she was the only one! She's certainly a clown. Shes at my mother's place with me for the holidays and I can't take her out as often and she's moping. She's used to being out of her cage when I'm sitting at my computer or just hanging out. I turn off the ceiling fan and let her loose from time to time but I have to be careful that she doesn't go for the Christmas tree.

She fights with her toys upside down.... I don't have any balls for her in her cage. She chewed through the last ones I had in there to get the bell so I had to remove them. I might have to find some that are more durable because she liked playing with them. She'd pick them up and drop them in her water bowl.

Tags
cockatiel