use of quinio - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2003, 08:39 PM
kilshans

use of quinio

Has any one used quinio to feed their teils. We have been reading that it is good for them so we are trying it and the tiels just love it their veggie dish which has quinio in it is always empty even before the seed & pellet dishes are karl

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2003, 10:56 PM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

I've never heard of that, Karl. Is it a powdered supplement? I usually give my birds vetamine, although someone told me that a different company is making it now and it is harder to find. (Used to get a 5# bag at a bird show and paid $7 for a little bitty can the other day - but it sure does make the bird look pretty!)

I'm having a heck of a time getting my 'tiel to wean. I got her for my parents for Christmas, but she wasn't weaned and ready to go then. And every time she sees me she screams for food. I've got her on two feedings a day, with millet sticks and a dish of pellet/seed mixture in with her. I've caught her at the dish a few times, but she'll still take 15cc's of food in the a.m. and 20cc's at night.

I'll see if I can post her picture (her name is Frosty - guess why!):

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2003, 11:11 PM
kilshans

quinoa

quinoa is a seed or grain and you have to rinse the outer coating off but it is full of protein try this site for some info
http://www.parrotparrot.com/articles/aa071999.htm karl

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2003, 11:31 PM
kilshans

quinoa

found another site about quinpa for birds karl
http://www.feathers.org/jan2003_news...%20for%20Birds

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2003, 11:51 PM

I just wanted to say that we eat quinoa sometimes, it's pronounced Keen-wa...that might help with recognition some.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-06-2003, 10:43 AM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

Thanks for the add'l info. I'll look into it.

And Becki, since I'm from the South you know how I was murdering that word trying to say it in my mind! Wouldn't you hate for me to go into a store and ask for it?

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2003, 12:01 AM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

I was right across the street from a health food store today, but couldn't turn across the street the right way to get there and wasn't sure how to spell the name of this stuff so I decided it wasn't meant to be today. But I am going to try to find some.

The stuff I give Henry is Petamine. I kept thinking last night that I had the wrong thing down but was too lazy to get up and look at the can!

I've posted a newer picture of Frosty and one of Pip, the Parrotlet. I also talked to the breeder today to get some tips on getting this bird weaned. I need to move her to a room where she can't see me as often (I guess the guest bedroom will have to be it) and starting tomorrow only feed her half as much in the a.m. for three or four days then stop that completely and start cutting back on her nighttime meals. You know that lovely squawking sound they make when they want to eat - I guess I'll need earplugs too!!

Becki, what does that quinoa taste like?

CRITTERCALL

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2003, 12:23 AM

LOL! I can only pronounce it because Ira's mom told me and showed me the jar where it was labled I personally don't like it much, it reminds me of kinda lumpy (small lumps) cream of wheat or something texture wise, and it doesn't taste like much at all but it's supposed to be really good for you. Ira's mom uses it as a substitute for rice but it doesn't soak sauces and stuff up like rice does. I'm all for feeding it to the birds, they can have mine!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2003, 11:22 AM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

Sounds like something that might be really good for the Parrotlet, since they have such a high metabolism. I'll look for some just to check it out!

CRITTERCALL

Tags
health food store, seed mix