Veggies for cockatiels - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 07:07 PM
Lee0923

Veggies for cockatiels

It's been a few years since I had a cockatiel, which throws me into newbie status again!

Well, reading up on these guys, I see that yellow veggies and dark green are important in a tiels diet-this is something I didn't know years ago with my first tiel.

Are there any that are better than others or some veggies I should stay away from?

What if a bird hasn't had them for 7 years and just isn't interested...does he need any vitamin supplement? I know it may take Sammy a while to get used to things...he just finally got used to eating his seed today!

Any suggestions/opinions are greatly appreciated!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 10:48 PM

I'm not saying right or wrong, just in my experiance, My parents have a cockatiel for almost 20 years now and that guy has never gotten veggies on any regular basis (maybe a piece off someones plate occaisionally). I wouldn't worry too much if he doesn't like them, they do seem to get set in thier ways as they get older.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 10:07 AM
Proud New Mommy

Dont know much about any kind of birds but I searched the subject and this looks like a good website.... ?http://www.cockatiel.com/health.shtml

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 10:46 AM
Lee0923

Thanks for the info. I'll check out that site!

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-22-2003, 06:28 AM
Princess in Waiting

My smaller birds don't like veggies nearly as much as the big guys do. And like Becki, I've known of 'tiels that have led quite nice lives without ever eating any table food.

I keep frozen mixed veggies on hand (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, green beans) and usually have sweet 'taters in baby food for them. (talk about a mess!)

Make sure you have a good quality seed mixture and not very many sunflower seeds; those are "empty calories" but the birds just love them. Safflower seeds are much better for them.

Sounds like you're doing a good job. Keep up the good work!

CRITTERCALL

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."

Tags
seed mix, sunflower seeds