Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
4K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  Jodi 
#1 ·
Do you give your fid(s) any vitamins/minerals?

If so, what kind & how often?

What kind of diet are they on?

#7 ·
Toby does the same thing with some foods!! :lol: The other day I handed him a baby carrot...he took one bite & threw it on the floor, then laughed. He normally loves his carrots so maybe he just wasn't "in the mood" for carrots!!

He usually loves veggies but some days he might completely ignore them (or throw them on the floor!!) and the same with his other fruits. About the only thing he will eat ALL the time is nuts & sweet taters.

I change his food around alot to give him a good variety. Fresh foods can make a big difference in their feathers and of course their health.

I'm not sure about tiels but I know with macaws they shouldn't be on an all seed diet. They need to be offered a variety of food.

I offer pellets in Toby's seed mix but he doesn't really like them. He may eat one now & then but mostly just throws them out. Some people feed an all pellet diet though...and I know you shouldn't offer vitamins if they are on that kind of diet because the pellets already contain vitamins.

Sharon & I have discussed giving our fids vitamins for awhile...and I've been giving Toby vitamins in his water for the last couple of weeks. I was just wondering how many people offer vitamins.

BTW, we need updated pics of your tiel Laurie!!

#8 ·
My fids eat Zupreem pellets, LaFeber Nutriberries, a microwave mix that I make myself consisting of tiny pasta, assorted legumes and beans. I keep the raw mix in a huge plastic canister so all I have to do is scoop it out, add water, nuke it and serve it warm.
Cooked vegies, raw veggies, fresh fruit - they love corn on the cob! I even give them very small pieces of cooked chicken or scrambled eggs on occasion. They love oatmeal or anything mooshy and messy like oatmeal, grits, farina, I'll add a jar of baby applesauce or other fruit to the oatmeal or hot cereal.
I only give vitamins when they are molting, or stressed- like from moving or traveling.
I don't add it to the water- I sprinkle it on the warm rice mixture. The name of the vitamin is escaping me!! arrgh! When I get downstairs I will look - I have two different types- formulated for different things... and also these green algae capsules that I will occasionally open and sprinkle out the contents to mix into the warm food. I will get the name of these too.

When I am feeling ambitious I make Birdy Muffins. I used to make them and distribute them to my local pet store - I thought his birds weren't being kept as well as they should be :( So... I would bring him a basket of my special muffins once a week. He said his birds loved them so much he wanted me to package them for resale in his shop.
I didn't have the time - or the ambition to do this. I'd already spent a lot of my time in there with the HS kids he hired to hand feed his babies :mad: arrgh!! The stupidity of some people! So- I would give lessons on hand feeding and go home praying that a baby wouldn't aspirate! I also told him how to order his birds- the dominant ones on higher perches, etc... to keep peace in his bird room. Even though they were in seperate cages - this matters!

I will get my recipe and post it in a new thread. Your birds will love these things! And - they are full of nutritious yummies. They are kind of a pain to make - but if you make a bunch they freeze well. Then you can pop as many as you need from the freezer and microwave them to a warm temp- and feed them warm.

I'm blathering again! :lol: I will post my muffin recipe ASAP- even if you have never cooked for your birds- give these a try- they are a great way to get foods into them that they don't normally go for - and they are sooo good for them. They don't leave a crumb!

I am blathering on again! Gads - the question was about food and vitamins and I went off on another huge tangent- I am soo sorry you guys! I'll try to stick to topic:lol:

#10 ·
:lol: Laurie! There are crushed egg shells in them - they might not like the crunch of those :rofl: - It's good calcium for them though!! :D
If they don't like them you could try giving them to a local small pet store that sells birds? Who knows? They might offer you the same deal they tried with me!! Or, neighbors with birds? Or- freeze them and keep trying? They last a long time in the freezer.

I'm going to go dig out that recipe now....

#12 ·
Ohh, I love cooking for Toby!! I have a really good birdie soup/stew recipe that Toby LOVES (I stole it from another fid mom). And I do something similar with pasta & beans, Deja... My hubby says I cook more for Toby than I do for him! Oh well! :lol:

And birdie bread/muffins?!? Always a big hit around here!! :D I can't wait for your recipe! I only have one birdie muffin recipe and it was a big pain in the butt to make! Maybe we should start a seperate thread for recipes?

How about cheese? Does Dante like cheese?

#13 ·
Deja said:
Cooked vegies, raw veggies, fresh fruit - they love corn on the cob! I even give them very small pieces of cooked chicken or scrambled eggs on occasion. They love oatmeal or anything mooshy and messy like oatmeal, grits, farina, I'll add a jar of baby applesauce or other fruit to the oatmeal or hot cereal.
Btw, Toby LOVES all these!! Except the chicken....I can't get him to eat it yet....maybe it's because Kenny always tells Toby he smells like a chicken sandwich!!:rofl:

#14 ·
Dante eats cheese! So does Dweezil- Daphne was a huge cheese lover - one of her favorite treats was a mozzarella cheese stick- she'd hold it in her hand and peel it down just like a kid! Saying "yummmm" "mmmmmm!" :lol:

Oooh! Birdy Soup/Stew!?? What's in it!???

:rofl: on telling Toby he smells like a chicken sandwich!!

ok - I had my nap :lol: I'm going to go get that recipe now :)

#19 ·
:rofl:

I have some birdie friends from another board that got to smell Toby awhile ago when I took him to get groomed....they didn't get the chicken sand. thing... but they did say he smelled good!!! Btw, he does get a shower every other day!!!! So it's not an "old" smell!! :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.