What should I do? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2003, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy What should I do?

I need your advice...here is the situation:

There is a guy down the street from my work that has 5 large macaws. 3 GW's & 2 Scarlets. All 5 birds are in cages outside on his front porch. NONE of the cages have ANY toys. This blows my mind. No toys?!? GW's are the biggest chewers of any of the macaws! They need something to chew on & play with. The poor guys!

2 of the Scarlets were pluckers. Their breasts/chests were completely bald. Hmmm, I wonder why! Duh!

From what I know of this man, he is in his 60's or 70's (right Bev?) and has had his birds for a long time.

Just because you are able to keep an animal alive does not mean it's happy or living a good life!! The plucked Scarlets are evidence of that! Macaws are so intelligent that if they don't have anything to play with they can literally go insane.

So, what should I do? I haven't been able to stop thinking of these birds for the last 2 days. It makes me so sad (and very angry)

I would like to write this man a letter (quoting knowledgable sources about the need for chew toys) and offer to give him some homemade toys. Does that sound too pushy? Should I just drop some toys off at his door? Should I not do anything? Should I try to go talk to him? What if he just tells me to get lost? Any other ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2003, 12:05 PM

I would write him a "nice" letter just stating that you, being an avid bird lover, noticed his birds sunning on the porch and thought they might like some homemade toys to play with while outside and drop off some toys. I don't know how long he leaves them outside but maybe he has cages inside with toys in them or does not even cage them while inside and they have lots of toys. A nice letter might break the ice and you may just find out more info that way about how they are kept inside.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2003, 01:17 PM

I was thinking along the same lines as Dena. Maybe you could befriend him and find out what the situation is and go from there.

Do you ever see the man outside? Maybe catch him sometime and start up a conversation and go from there.

Good luck and keep us updated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2003, 02:57 PM

Same from me! Just introduce yourself as a fellow bird lover and maybe offer some toys as gifts for the birds.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2003, 01:05 AM
Princess in Waiting

Those are great ideas - much better than the ones I was having along the lines of calling the ASPCA. etc. My friend, Erin and I stole a Congo that was living in bad conditions but better off than that!

It's the late night frumpiness. The Diva Queen I cater to had to have me put her off the bed to get a drink of water and let her go outside so my frame of mind is not real "kind" to anybody/thing right now!!

Of course you should talk to him. You already have a common interest. He obviously needs help. Maybe you're being sent to him for a reason that you aren't aware of yet.

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2003, 01:23 AM

And if he DOES tell you to get lost, then get more aggressive and start making some phone calls!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2003, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Great ideas guys. Thanks!

Dena, he leaves them outside all the time in the warm months. From the looks of the old, nasty, dirty cages on the porch I highly doubt they have a nice setup on the inside. Ya know? None of the birds were in good feather and they all looked thin. Macaws are SO intelligent that they really do need something to do when in their cages.

I guess I will write the nice letter and drop off the letter & some toys at his house. At least the birds can have some toys. If I don't see the toys up in the cages in a week or so, maybe I will approach him.

He's a "grumpy old man" who has been know to be a .....set in his ways.

These birds may be surviving but I can guarantee you that they are not happy.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 09:24 PM

An update please!

Did you write a letter or talk to the man?:daisy:
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

I have the letter written but I'm still making the toys. There are 6 large macaws so it's going to take me awhile to make the toys!! I'm running low on wood so I may stop at Lowe's after work tomorrow and pick up some of their scraps.

Who wants to come over and help me make toys??

We drove by the house again yesterday and still nothing in the cages....Just one perch for each bird. The cages are so old & nasty looking...makes me very sad. At least they are outside getting fresh air.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2003, 11:29 PM
Princess in Waiting

So now you have to make perches too!!

You should do an instruction sheet for us on how to make toys. I don't know how to do it. I bought Henry and Sweets small wooden baseball bats with leather run through them with different and two different toys tied at each end. They act like they've never had a toy before - liars!!

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Crittercall
They act like they've never had a toy before - liars!!

Ever had them act like they haven't eaten in a year? When you bring them their food....they're just starving to death???

Tags
chew toy, chew toys