What type of Bird on Deck ??? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2004, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

What type of Bird on Deck ???

Does anyone know what type of bird this may be? I went to take my dogs out in the backyard to go potty and I turned around and looked on the deck ledge. I saw this bird just sitting there. It's breathing, eyes will blink, but not moving. I saw it get up and walk closer to aluminum siding of the house (which is still attached to the deck ledge), but that was it. I feel sorry for the bird, maybe it's hurt in some way and can't get to any food. I left some bread crumbs on the ledge in case he decides to walk back to get something to eat. Other than that I'm at a loss, because I don't know anything about birds. Could it be pregnant? It does look a little bloated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2004, 01:17 PM

looks like some type of Dove to me.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2004, 01:55 PM

Almost reminds me of a fledgling Mourning Dove.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2004, 01:55 PM
Herp Nerd

Looks like a young mourning dove to me, head markings aren't quite right though.

Rav

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2004, 03:41 PM
Eli
Movin' Up in the Pack

yup looks just like the mourning dove that my friend go, who was young. they make the cutest noises, and make good pets, if you are interested in taking him in and hand feeding him. My friend used a syringe, and a straw that was big enough for him to put his beak thru, it also depends on the age too. But if you are interested in taking him in and releasing after everything is done, it is a safe thing to do. The outside birds Will not hurt him for human "smell" they cannot sm ell. My friend and I have released quite a bit of birds, from pigeons to sparrows, to starlings. We have seen alot of them ag ain. Some have even come back to us to visit, and get more food!!! lol it's quite a hit!!!!!!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Thank you so much, Chris, Piggers, Rav and Eli. When I went back out to take the dogs out again (because I didn't want the dogs to scare it or hurt it with their noses) I checked to see if the (what I now know is Morning Dove ) was still there. I noticed she chewed on the bread pieces I left for her and she moved to the other end of the deck ledge. But I also noticed there was another larger dove (somewhat taller and slimmer) watching her from the rooftop. Could she be pregnant? or Could they be protecting a nest somewhere? I ask that because everytime I let my dogs out, they continuously go over to this one bush, cautiously, and sniff it. They have never gone near this bush before other than to walk by it or get their toys when a ball goes near it. But, this one bush has the curiosity of both of my dogs, for a couple of days now. Now, my curiosity is peaked. The dove was gone when I went back out later in the day with the dogs...But she was back this morning. I would love to take her in and then release her after everything is over, if she is pregnant. I'll see how she acts today when I get close to her. I'm also going to check and see what's in that bush. Thanks again for all of your help
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 10:36 AM
Eli
Movin' Up in the Pack

Chances are, that the other bird that you sa w is the mother or father bird, The will continue to feed it , unless they t hemselves k icked the baby out, due to some kind of birdy illness. And the mot her or fat her was looking out for the baby. That is a good sign though. It usu ally means that there's not a illness in the baby........Mourning doves only h ave 2 to a lay or whatever it's called. one will normally be the stro ng er of the two, and that's the one that the parents spend more energy in feeding or taking cvare of it. If it is still out there, it is safe to br ing him in. If you hav e birds of you own, the only way that th ey will get sick, if it is sick, is by eating the poop. Just keep them separated for awhile. If you decide to do that
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Thank you so much Eli. You've been very helpful. Yes, the dove was still there about 30 mins ago when I went out in the backyard with the dogs again. I looked for the one on the rooftop, but didn't see him No, I don't have other birds that will get sick. I'm a dummy when it comes to birds. I wish I did have one, they are beautiful. I will try to walk closer to see what she does when I go out with some bread pieces. Thank you again
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 01:53 PM

***Paw Talk Disclaimer***
I would strongly suggest you NOT bring wild birds in your house if you have other birds. There are diseases they can get without eating wild bird feces. Be VERY careful with the wild birds. Only licensed rehabbers should be taking in wild birds. To suggest that an inexperienced person take in a wild bird is not only foolish, it may be detrimental to the bird.

Wild birds are NOT the same as domesticated hand raised birds, even if it is a dove. IF you don't have a wildlife rehab license, I would NOT take in a wild bird. Especially one that is leaving and returning.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Thank you.
Well, the bird left again. I never walked up close or even touched it. The bird was too skittish. Since I never had a bird, I wouldn't even know how to go about holding a bird. So, I just left it be and watched out for the other bird to see if it was watching her, or if she was hovering over a bird's nest somewhere, so that my dogs wouldn't get to it. That's what may be in the bush. I didn't go crawling into the bush either, so as not to disturb anything. Thank you everyone for your help and concern