what would be beter Cocktail or Love bird - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

what would be beter Cocktail or Love bird

Ok I have been think for a little while now that I would like to get a bird. I am close to making up my mind. I am between a Cocktail or a lovebird was thinking about a Parakeet but the main reason for that is the colors. I know there are a lot of differences but I can not deside So which one of these would make a better first bird. well my mom always had finch will I was growing up. But I would like a bird with alittle bit more personality.So what would you guys recommend The Cocktail or Lovebird.I am looking at getting one in about a week when I have my kids with me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 09:07 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Parakeets make great pet birds too, you can take them out and things and some can learn to speak.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 10:24 PM
Curmudgeon

I've owned and trained birds all my life, from finches to eagles. I think the best beginner bird, ...bar none, is the parakeet (budgie). They are smart, personable, easy to tame ...and the best talking bird on the planet. In fact, I've rarely seen one that DIDN'T talk!). They are inexpensive and easy to keep. They are naturally granivores (seed eaters), so millet and good seed mixes suit them as well or better than pellets.

I don't think you can go wrong with a parakeet. A very close second on the list would be the cockatiel. Lovebirds are pretty, and they can be sweet birds, but it's not in their nature to be as personable as budgies or 'tiels.

Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 01:30 AM
I am allergic to maths

I would go with a cockatiel, they can learn speak and have a life span of 20+ years if treated well. I think they are amazing creatures, when they learn to trust you they are very freindly. I have a budgie, susan, she may be pretty but she pecks... HARD, she doesnt talk, she isnt tame (but through no fault of her own or ours) and budgies are very messy where as its easy to train a cockatiel where the toilet is. The life span of a budgie is 10+ years if treated well but even then alot dont even make it to 10

Last edited by RodentzRule; 03-23-2009 at 01:37 AM.

Tags
birds, cocktail, lovebird