Where does your brid perch at night? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Where does your brid perch at night?

Until recently my budgie (Beekle) used to sit on his top most perch which has a toy on the end of it. A week ago, though, he started climbing into a corner of the cage and hanging off the cage wall. Often he'll put his beak around one of the ceiling bars.

He seems happy enough there so I suppose he just wanted a change but it means in the morning that when I take his cover off he can't see well enough to move to a proper perch. One night he climbed up there half an hour before I went to cover him up. Guess he wanted an early night.

I did buy him a honey seed bar for christmas and that hangs next to him but there's no sign of midnight snacking.

Ho hum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 06:14 PM
Eli
Movin' Up in the Pack

Eli, usually sleeps on his ladder.or else on the left side of his cage.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 07:23 PM

Casso Normaly sleeps in his cage in the den. It is just a cage with a perch, a toy, water and a little bit of food in it.

Joey also sleeps in a separate cage in the den. It has like 5 perches, water,food, and about 5 toys. (Its your average cage with a cover ontop.)

They are both covered with a blanket. Neither of them go to bed without there lulluby (my mom just made up a random song with there name in it.) My mom use to leave a foutain running but I dont think she does anymore. What time do you usualy put your birds to bed??? i put them to bed at about 8:00pm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 04:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noo1home
What time do you usualy put your birds to bed??? i put them to bed at about 8:00pm
I usually turn the main light out at 9pm and cover his cage at 10pm. In the morning he's uncovered at 8am.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 07:29 AM

Some birds sleep in very odd positions. I know a Grey that sleeps every night hanging off one particular bar.

My Toby has 2 different spots he sleeps on. Either is birdie bed or his side perch. We used to crate him at night and it worked wonderfully but our situation changed so he sleeps in his cage now. We may go back to the crate this summer though.

It's important for birds to get a good nights sleep. They need 10-12 hours of undisturbed sleep.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 07:01 AM
Blu

Bird has a "bird buddy tent" that he sleeps in... he also has a bird buddy on the end of his perch. I tried to replace it when it got torn, but he got very upset that I was giving him a new lady friend *new bird buddy* lol, So the raggy one is still in there for him. He sleeps every night in the bird buddy tent.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 03:59 AM Thread Starter

Well this is a new one. I pulled Beekle's covers back this morning and he was hanging from the ceiling. Not upside down but in that bizarre way budgies have of pointing their legs upward. Judging from the cage floor beneath him he must have spent some time there at least.

Quite what this means I don't know. He chirped at me in recognition and then climbed down to a normal perch and started preening. When I left he had flown to his favourite perch on the patio door handle and was squeaking along to the radio as normal.

Perhaps he just wanted to try a different position but what went through his mind to make him try that?

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 02:55 PM

Andrue, Pony and Soda do that sometimes too. The ceiling seems soooo comfy, I sleep up there too, all the time! Soda and Pony spend hours fighting over who gets to sleep on the highest toys, closest to the ceiling. Pony is always so bossy and kicks Soda off all the toys. Meanie!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 09:40 PM

When captain morgan comes home, she will have a sleep box next to my bed. One of those small (she IS a parrotlet, and she IS suppossed to be sleeping ) travel cages with some towel on the bottom by the bed. She will be covered at night and she will wake up when daddy wakes up, so she doesn't wake him up when i get up

Everynight when i put her to bed i will tell her nite-nite captain morgan and make the kiss noise to hopefully teach her that its time for bed and thats her good night kiss.

I can't wait until Captain morgan comes home with me!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 07:09 PM

My budgies seem to like their big branch or the flat bars where the cage forms the top of the spade shape of the cage. I seem to be finding lots of poo on the table in the morning.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 07:45 PM

Chuckles chooses to cling to the bars of his cage Hopefully this changes soon
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 07:59 PM

He's still doing that Marie? Otherwise does he seem to be adjusting ok? Is he eating any of his human foods?
Thinkin of ya'll.......
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 09:29 PM

He ahd some scrambled eggs this morning, and this afternoon he had a few little pieces of apple and a few tastes of red and green bell pepper but I had to use the grated and shred it.

He seems to be adjusting but got really mad when we went away yesterday and last night didnt want us near him.

Tags
human food