Who's a good boy! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Talking Who's a good boy!

Toby's newest phrase.... "Who's a good boy..... Tooooobbbbeeeee"

I whisper to him "who's a good boy? who's a good bird? who's a good baby bird? who's a good big baby bird? Who's mama's good big baby bird?" And he would blush and cuddle up close to me. Well, this morning when I was getting ready for work I heard him say part of it! It was so cute. And even cuter that he said his name after!

He's just started saying his name in the last week or so. He says it super exaggerated but still in his little girlie voice. So cute.

Anyway, I was so excited when he said it this morning I just wanted to share it with ya'll.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 11:55 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Too cute!

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 12:05 PM

That is too cute!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 12:24 PM
PT's Troll Hunter

Thumbs up

How cute! I wish I could have a listen!

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 01:15 PM
Poo dont scare me!!!

How adorable!!! I will have to watch a bird someday with its owner so I can see them blush...I think it sounds so cute!

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 01:44 PM

awww, lol cuth does that but he says hello cuth-(break)bert tis funny
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 04:32 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

How sweet!

How long does it usually take for him to learn a new phrase?

Rhonda

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 10:37 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

awww jodi that is sooo adorable!!!!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Well that depends, Scarlette. We've been saying his name for a long time now and he just started saying it a week ago.

But he learned peek a boo after me saying it just a half a dozen times. He was in the shower with Kenny, I pulled back the curtain and said peek a boo a few times and a few days later Toby was saying it perfectly at the top of his lungs.

Some he picks up really quickly and some it takes forever and some I'm still waiting for him to say!
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 10:40 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

so Jodi what can he say???

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

Hi, hello, wow, come here, come on, step up, good boy, I love you, I love you bird, crazy bird, I love you crazy bird (my favorite!), peek a boo, peek a bird (LOL), b-bye, hey bird........several phrases/words we can't make out yet. He has several variations on some of the words, I bet he says hi 6 different ways. Goofball.

He has about 4 different laughs... from a deep down belly laugh (Kenny's) and my laugh and then a combination of 'em both. He can bark like Tito, whistle for the dogs, wolf whistle (which is always embarassing when you're naked!), blow his nose, sing with certain songs, whisper, etc.

He's still very young - he can live to be 100 yrs old - so he's gonna be learning a lot more as time goes on!

When he uses certain words is what really freaks me out. Several months ago, we were cuddling on the couch and he put a little too much pressure on my finger with his beak. I said "no Toby, that hurts". He tucked his head against my cheek and said "i love you" all quiet and whispery. LOL It was so sweet I started crying! LOL
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 11:46 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

aww Jodi I'd start crying too!!! That wolf whistle thing is hilarious though!! i had no idea they lived so long!!! So who has claimed to be his next owner for you, after you know, you leave him behind for another world?
How do they cope with losing their owners?
Sorry for the morbid questions, just had no idea they could live longer than us that's all!

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-11-2004, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

Oh man Carmen, good questions. We haven't "willed" him to anyone yet. I'm hoping my niece, Sarah, will take him - she has a big interest in birds right now but she's only 13. It's something we do need to think about.

How do they take losing their owners? Awful. It breaks their hearts. It's not like a dog or cat. They are SO attached to their people that cockatoos, greys and macaws have been known to go literally insane when losing their owners. Isn't that sad??!

If they (I'm talking generally about big birds here) lose their owners after a few years - they can still be rescued and rehabilitated - most of the time very successfully (Sharon's Eefie is a rescue!). It's that long period of time with one owner that they've bonded to that really can *hurt* them.

I watched a documentary on PBS the other day about a cockatoo. His owner went to Hawaii for ONE week. The cockatoo started plucking it's feathers a couple of days after the human left (apparently thinking he wasn't ever coming back) and 5 years later, the bird is still plucking. Oh, that story broke my heart!

Ok, now I'm sounding depressing......they're awesome guys to share your life with but more work than all of my other kids put together! I wouldn't trade him for anything.

I know you're afraid of birds Carmen, but trust me, if you met Toby you would fall in love!!
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-11-2004, 02:51 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Jodi I already do love Toby!! The only bird I have gotten attached to and I've never even seen him!!! I love listening to Toby stories and seeing toby pictures!! I haven't even heard of anyone owning one in aus....do we even have them here? I literally know nothing about birds!!!! People come into work and ask me a question and I don't even pretend to know! Wow so do you go away a lot without toby or not? That would be hard. Alex and I always go away so I could never own one if they get that distressed!
So if your neice took him for you would she have to spend a lot of time with him in the years before you passed for him to have a chance of coping or would that not work at all? Sorry more morbid questions I know! And I don't think you have to will him off to anyone just yet! It's not like you are going to be facing that situation any time soon! I thought your kids might have claimed him or something!

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-11-2004, 11:39 AM

Toby always makes me smile, he is such a gorgeous bird. Didn't know he said that much however Jodi, very cool!

We had a macaw at our store that would say the common hi and bye, but one day he just randomly said "cracker" and i nearly died laughing! Does Toby ever "talk" with you? We have a blue front amazon that will say Step Up to the Double Yellow Amazon, and he will reply with "good bird!"