Woodpecker is driving me NUTS! Help MzKity! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Woodpecker is driving me NUTS! Help MzKity!

Yes, it is my fault, I feed every bird that passes by, so I have most likely attracted this little dude, but he is driving me CRAZY!!!!! Every morning, this woodpecker, comes to my house, specifically my bedroom window side of the house and hammers his little head away. Up until this week, I have only had to tell him to leave once and he gets the hint. But, he is getting used to me now, and it is taking me 3 times now to get rid of him each day and NOW he is bringing a FRIEND!!! What do I do to get rid of him? It's not good for my house and my husband won't put up with him much longer. HELP. Ideas?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 12:28 AM
Salamander Burgermuffin

I have no idea how to get rid of him, without getting rid of the other birdies too.. but um... Got pics?

My Furry Family
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 01:20 AM Thread Starter

No, but I could get some. He is a beautiful bird. I really don't want to get rid of him permanently. He makes a beautiful sound and is awesome to look at, I just don't want him pecking on my house! LOL

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 09:01 PM
Part of the Pack

you could get a hawk and train him to not eat the birds, just scare away the woodpeckers only when they make the noise.

other than that, no idea. is the side they're on the same side as you feed the birds on? have you tried feeding the birds in a different place? this might make it further away from the food, or more noisy for them, depending on whether you move the feeding closer or further away.

i really have no idea with birds other than poultry, so your guess is as good as mine. that was mine.

Pets name: Cheryl

Pets name: Kimberley

Babies:
rats: girls:belle, beauty and sweetness Boys: ronnie and oscar
Dogs: Cassie, Jazzmin and Buddy
Cat: Pebbles
Hamster: Skye
gerbils: Tremor and Sparkle
quails
chickens
9 ducks
3 guinea fowl

R.I.P. Cheryl & Kim
:, scabbyquail
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 09:18 PM
Adolescent Pup

HAHAHAHAHA thats funny

hmm only thing i can think of is moton sensor light?

sorry it dont help much but i just think thats really funny you scare him away then he brings a frend hahaha
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 09:03 PM
Betta Bomb

Set up a scare crow?? or threaten to set your hungry kitties on him and his buddy!! i like the light idea but i dont kow how well it would work in the daytime..maybe a motion or sound sensored radio? a loud sound will definetly spook him but he'll probably let his tummy win him back to your yard?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 10:34 PM
Adolescent Pup

Try a can air horn that people us at Foot Ball games. They use loud non consitant noises to deture birds from getting on the run ways at air ports.

Rat Man Doooo

It,s Good to be alive!

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 12:28 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

get some kind of wood pecker feeder that will be more fun for him to hammer on? it will attract more but hopefully not to attack the house.. you may want to get someone to check your house for termites as well.. maybe your woodpecker is telling you your house has bugs

[/CENTER]

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 01:25 AM Thread Starter

OMG! Our house isn't even 2 years old! Termites? That's all I need!

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 02:14 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

hopefully not, but normally woodpeckers are pretty good at knowing where the food is, and hearing bugs inside the wood good luck

[/CENTER]

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! I'll have it checked. LOL That darned little bugger is back today. I doubt it is termites though. We do have spiders! EEEEEK!

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 03:19 PM
can't think of one, help

Are you sure he is pecking at the house and not maybe in a nearby tree. Generally woodpeckers will not peck unless there is food. I'd check the house for other unwanted pests or "guests" i.e. bugs that have come to visit for the winter.

Vicki

Rainbow, Abbles, Carmy, Kissy, Peaches, Cream, (kitties) and Littlebunny boy (elder bunny)

the pic is the last one of my meecee kitty (5/9/89 - 1/9/08)
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

litlebunnies, I guess that is what is so confusing to me. You see, our home is a new home, just built 2 years ago, we keep it sprayed for bugs 3 times a year and I know this woodpecker is finding something to eat. We didn't spray the last spray, we missed it, because of weather and where we live, we have spiders and other flying things, mosquitos, etc., so maybe he's just finding those things. We also have things like praying mantis that lay their egg pouches all over our home, so maybe there are those type of things around. I also know there are wasp nests waaaaay up there that we could not reach (we have a two story home) so maybe he's after those. I have no clue. It's hot where I live most of the time, but now it's really cold, so he's really having to hunt for food. I've tried hanging a woodpecker feeder, but he just won't go for it. Our house is not bug infested, but there are the regular amount of bugs, you just can't get around some of them here. I don't know what to do. At the same time, I like the bird! LOL

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 09:30 PM
can't think of one, help

mzkitty Is your house wood sided, If it is can you see if he has made any holes in it. Check for damage. I had a piliated woodpecker, (very large) in one of my maple trees. It was amazing how fast he drilled a hole almost through it. Since it was within the city's easement rights, they removed it. I cried that day but it was in danger of falling on someone. If he's not making any holes and is just feeding off of the spider webs etc. I wouldn't worry. May be you could send him my way I have lots of spider's that make winter nests

Vicki

Rainbow, Abbles, Carmy, Kissy, Peaches, Cream, (kitties) and Littlebunny boy (elder bunny)

the pic is the last one of my meecee kitty (5/9/89 - 1/9/08)
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

litlebuns, I'll have to go outside and check. It's been so cold, I haven't gone outside unless I have to, because of my feet still being hurt. Guess it's not that big of a deal. I just talked to my doctor about my feet today (my frost-bite) and found that I haven't been taking care of them the right way, so I'll be keeping them warmer for awhile! LOL. Guess the bird can eat what he wants for awhile.

Tags
woodpecker