zebra finches? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Bird Discussion Discuss your feathered friends here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

zebra finches?

hmm....i'm really interested in zebra finches, and, since i am planning to absoulutely fill my living space with pets once i move out, i want to learn more about them!!! here are a few questions i have:
1). i know they do well in pairs, but which genders do best together? two males, two females, or a female and male?
2). if a female and male together are best, then will they mate and lay eggs? i don't want to breed because i can just imagine all the things i'd do wrong, so what would i do then? just take the eggs out and not incubate them? i think it would be really cute to watch a male and female cuddling together and being like husband and wife, but i don't want chicks. will they mate automatically?
3). how much space would a pair of zebra finches need? 2 square ft?
i think that's it. please reply even if you're not sure. i'm really interested in zebra finches and it'd be fun to learn about them, in the least.

Last edited by HamterDudette; 01-11-2005 at 05:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

helloooo???? anybody home?? hmph. i guess zebra finches aren't quite as popular as parrots....
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 06:38 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I've never kept them, but I know people who have and at one point I became interested in them and did research. Here is an excellent site about them: http://www.zbirds.com/ZebraCare.html. It answers all your questions .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

YAY!!! someone replied!!! thanks a lot, that site is really helpful. ummm.....if anybody else has zeba finches, please reply!!! i'd really like to know how they are as pets, and their behavior, and how long they have lived. reading a caresheet is all well and good, but talking to an owner of them is best, i think.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 03:49 PM

Im new but have Zebra finches, Societies and Gouldians, They are tons of fun, Zebras are the loudest of the bunch, LOL
Heres a few places you can check out and learn about finches,
http://www.zbirds.com/ZebraCare.html
http://zebrafinch.info/
There a very happy bird and very entertaining to watch. Easy to breed Bunnies have nothing on Zebras, LOL
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 02:17 AM

My boyfriend's mom has a huge cage filled with finches. She specifically uses them for breeding. They didn't do a good job until recently, though. I've been with him for 16 months, and it wasn't until about a month or two ago that any of them had any babies.

I think they will only breed if there is a nest box in the cage (otherwise, the female won't have any type of nest to lay her eggs in). I've never breeded myself, so don't hold me to that. I just remember her saying that she needed to buy a nest box for the cockatiel cage because she wanted to try and breed them. (She has zebra finches, society finches, spice finches, parakeets, cockatiels and lovebirds)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 11:26 AM
Newborn Pup

Zebra finches are sociable. If you want to breed them then a mating pair is required. If, on the other hand, you don't much care about raising young birds than either two males or two females work just fine. Because they are so sociable, rarely, if ever, do aggression problems crop up.
Finches require a lot of room to flit about in their cages. The larger the better but for two birds think about a flight cage that is at least 30 x 20 x 20 inches in size at a minimum.

Tags
lay eggs, nest box