Can anyone help? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rescues For rescue notices, transport requests, shelter needs, shelter listings and safe havens.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Question Can anyone help?

Do any of you know of a place that does long term (approx 1 yr) boarding or foster care in the state of Georgia, preferably in or around Savannah? I have two neutered male cats that I need to find a boarder or foster home asap. I would really appreciate any info ya'll can help with.

Oh, they aren't up for adoption.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Amanda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 03:30 AM
Playful Pup

hope someone responds

not up for adoption? A year is a long time, I hope for their sake you can find a foster family for them, I wouldnt wish an impersonal boarder for them, where only their physical needs are met sounds horrible, especially for that amount of time. At some boarders they act like they love animals but when your gone its lucky if the animal is excercised once every couple of days, makes me feel like crying. I have heard horror stories about it but I myself have never boarded and im sure there are good boarders but unless you know them personally there really is no way to tell if your pet will be safe and loved. Is it because your going to a place that doesnt accept pets? Anyways good luck to you and your family.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Well, my only alternative is to drop them off at a shelter where they'll live in a cage for who knows how long never to see them again. Lemme weigh those choices.....a year in boarding or a shelter indefinitely???? I care about my cats, and I don't want to rehome them, which is why they haven't already been dropped off at a shelter. Which is why I came here asking for help. So, 'for their sake', if anyone can really offer assistance I would be very appreciative.

Amanda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 08:51 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Why do you need to find a place for them for a year? Can a family member, good neighbor, good friend take them for a year? I'm sure your little furbabies are like children for you so I certainly understand your concern about what to do. Is there any way at all they can come with you?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 09:26 PM
Playful Pup

sorry

Quote:
Which is why I came here asking for help. So, 'for their sake', if anyone can really offer assistance I would be very appreciative.
If something I said bothered you in some way I'm sorry, primarily I guess I was thinking about your kittys more so than your feelings. I cant imagine how my dogs would feel if I did that, I couldnt, for my own peace of mind ever live in a place where my whole family couldnt live. I know your circumstances may be more dire than mine so Im not judging you in any way since I don't know your circumstances, just saying how I feel.
I have gotten lots of moral support on problems I have posted and I appreciate it, even if someone cannot offer a solution, they still like to offer their best wishes and moral support, Im sorry if you dont want to hear from anyone unless they can solve your problem. I certainly did not mean to hurt your feelings in any way.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2006, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrylynnn9
If something I said bothered you in some way I'm sorry, primarily I guess I was thinking about your kittys more so than your feelings. I cant imagine how my dogs would feel if I did that, I couldnt, for my own peace of mind ever live in a place where my whole family couldnt live. I know your circumstances may be more dire than mine so Im not judging you in any way since I don't know your circumstances, just saying how I feel.
I have gotten lots of moral support on problems I have posted and I appreciate it, even if someone cannot offer a solution, they still like to offer their best wishes and moral support, Im sorry if you dont want to hear from anyone unless they can solve your problem. I certainly did not mean to hurt your feelings in any way.
Ok, I was going to keep my mouth shut and just not reply but that was 'the straw'.
Quote:
I couldnt, for my own peace of mind ever live in a place where my whole family couldnt live.
Well aren't we a hero! See I have a family, and either we all live together and have to find foster care for our cats, or we live apart from my husband for that year. I know all you die hard pet fanatics are probably gonna faint when you hear this, but my husband is more important to me than anything or anyone else in this world. If it was him or pets, the pets would go. Hands down, no questions asked. So finding my kitties a temp place to live until we can find somewhere that does allow them is my peace of mind.

Since ya'll are so intent on knowing my business, we are relocating out of state. This is not something I asked for, my husband is in the military. We have a 12 month lease and at the end of that lease we are going to find a new place. There is nothing I can do about it right now, except find boarding or foster care. If there was anyway at all that they could come, I sure wouldn't be here wasting my time asking for help.

As for not judging, save it. That's exactly what you were doing otherwise you wouldn't have responded in the way you did. Moral support? Didn't hear anything of the sort. You even said...
Quote:
primarily I guess I was thinking about your kittys more so than your feelings. I cant imagine how my dogs would feel if I did that,
Didn't expect anything less. I appreciate your concern for my cats.

I don't have the time, energy or patience to keep this up. I will not try to defend myself, this is what needs to be done. Like I said before, at this point the only other alternative is to relinquish them to a shelter and never see them again. Wouldn't that be lovely. Wonder how much moral support I'll recieve if that happens?

I'm angry, very angry. If I say anything more, it will be ban worthy. Yes, I only wanted replies to my question otherwise I would have asked for your thoughts. I don't care if anyone does reply to it now, it was obviously a mistake to post it here in the first place.

Amanda
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2006, 12:13 PM
Poo dont scare me!!!

I dont know of any fosters or boarders, but I hope you can find one! And I really hope the year goes by fast for you. Sometimes you have to do things that you dont really want to do, but thats life...and when the year is up and you can go back to spoiling your kitties, they will love you just the same. So hang in there and I hope you can find a boarder!

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2006, 01:49 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I don't know of any fosters or boarders either but I do wish you the best of luck in finding the best place for your kitties. God bless you and your husband for your efforts in the military. I will keep you guys & your sweet kitties in my prayers.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2006, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thank you both, I really appreciate it. This is very stressful for me, I'm doing my best. It's all I can do.

Amanda
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2006, 05:38 PM

I need to make sure that everyone remembers that this needs to be a happy family friendly forum where people do not attack one another due to differences in lifestyles and opinions. We need everyone to feel comfortable asking legitimate questions so we may receive informative and constructive advice. Please remember to stay on topic so that we may find an answer to the original question and not have to close the thread. Thank you.

Now with my admin hat off. I'm not sure of anywhere to board either but you may want to go to petfinder and find lists of all the local shelters to that area and see if they have programs for military personnel. They may just have a group of people that specifically foster military pets for longer periods of time. I'm sorry that this is stressful for you and I completely understand that you need to do what you need to do.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2006, 09:25 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

I am so sorry you are having to deal with this issue. The southeast is not the happiest of place for pet owners that rent so i feel your pain.

I know some people in Savannah from when my hubby was stationed near there so I will ask around.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 10:41 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

sorry i don't know of anyone. a foster situwation would prob be your best bet.

why breed or buy when shelter animals die

home to:
1 dog a pit bull named Troy and a border collie/golden retrever/boxer mix named Amber

and 7 cats (Butterfly, Furchol, Carmel, Nova, Hope, Shaddy& Christian)

3 rats Flora, Fauna, & Merryweather
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 11:00 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I have to agree, if you can find a non profit local animal group they may be able to help you line up a foster home for your animals, also ask your Vet, they may know of an organization or a person.
Good Luck!

Adoption. Is the living option.
Can't Afford The Vet? Can't Afford the Pet!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 11:52 PM
Mel
Cardboard Chef

I know you aren't going to want to hear this, but I think rehoming is best. I know you have to do what is best for you and your husband (the military is tough, I know!), but I don't think you'll have much luck with finding boarding for a year or a foster home that wants to give them back after a year. The only other option I can think of is a friend or family member, but that doesn't sound like an option?

So sorry you're having to go through this.

Tags
local shelter, male cat, neutered male, pet owner