Great Pyrenees rescue-gone bad (long) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rescues For rescue notices, transport requests, shelter needs, shelter listings and safe havens.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Great Pyrenees rescue-gone bad (long)

I haven't written here for a long time...sorry about that.
I have a sad story to tell. In the city that I live in, almost a yr. ago, someone "dumped" two Great Pyrenees off. They made their way around town, through the parks and different areas, and finally made their way about 1 mile from where I live. They seemed to kind of settle in that area. They were 2 females. One day I noticed that one was gone. I called Animal Control and they said that they had caught her and she was very ill, so they euthanized her. Then I felt so sorry for the one that was left. My daughter started calling her "Puppy" and it kinda stuck. So every morning, and every evening, I would go to the area where Puppy hung out and give her fresh food. She would never get any closer than probaby 30-40 yards from me, and barked at me for a good week or so, then after that, when she would see me, she would just sit up real alert, and wait for me to put the food down. After I drove off (and ONLY after I drove off) she would amble over there and get the food.
It really kinda gave me something to look forward to. I had someone that needed me alot, and that is rare in my world. I grew to love Puppy, but knew she would never be a pet. I had talked to Animal Control about her, and they had no problem with where I fed her. But they did (for some reason) take away the dish I put there for her.
About 2 weeks ago, I didn't see Puppy for a couple of days. One morning when I went to feed her, the dish was back, and there was a note underneath it. Animal Control had finally (after a year) caught Puppy. Puppy had an embedded collar, severe internal parasites, and bleeding ulcers. They said she was very very ill, and could not save her. They euthanized her. I am happy that she is no longer in pain, and she's back with her companion, but I am livid that someone could dump two beautiful dogs like that and not have a second thought about it. For the last year, they have been eating garbage and deer carcasses. Every time I think about it I cry.........sniff:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 03:31 PM
PT's Troll Hunter

Wow. Thats insane. For a YEAR and no one bothered to pick her up?? If animal control had done their job, then maybe she would be here still. :angry:

I'm sorry for your loss. Even though she wasn't your "pet", she obviously was something you cared for. Too bad she couldn't have been caught and possibly trained...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Great Pyrenees

Yeah, it's a very sad story. I don't feel like Animal Control made the effort that they needed to. I contacted a Great Pyrenees rescue organization out of San Antonio, and they really didn't want to get involved either. They wanted A.C. to catch her, evaluate her, and then they would think about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 04:23 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I can't believe people could be so cruel! Great Pyrennes are great dogs. My boyfriend's family has one named Bear and he's a gentle giant. Someone probably got them as pups because they are so darn cute and then got rid of them when they saw how big they got. Those are expensive dogs too! Stupid people. I can't believe that Animal Control couldn't do more for them. That is very disappointing.
<P> Here's a couple pics of Bear. One as a pup and one with Billy, my boyfriend.

Last edited by wellahart; 01-27-2006 at 11:28 PM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Bear

My gosh! Bear really is huge! This one was a female, and I'm not even sure if she was purebred, but she wasn't that big. She was very beautiful, though, and so was her companion that was put to sleep a couple of months ago. I just fell head over heels in love with them, and I'm basically a cat person.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 09:13 PM
Newborn Pup

Thank you for sharing that story, Beth. As sad as it was, for a little while, Puppy DID have people - she had you.

Charlotte
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Puppy

She certainly didn't have the kind of love she deserved. I hope I see her someday at the Rainbow Bridge.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 09:24 AM
Newborn Pup

No, she didn't... but she did have love, and that little bit is just as important.

She will be one of those dogs running to meet you at the bridge. You did good, even if it seemed so small, it was still good.

Charlotte

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Puppy

The greatest day was when she stopped barking at me everytime she saw me, and would just sit up and watch me put the food down with antcipation.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 12:07 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

awwwww you are such a great person for doing all that you could for them. I'm sure both of them appreciated every thing you did for them. It's just really upsetting that nothing was done for a year.

Bear is huge. He's about 175 lbs. My bf and his family drove 6 hours to get him because the breeder closer to him bred them smaller and they didn't like that. Bear's grandpa was a prize show dog.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 09:30 PM
Part of the Pack

I bet Baby loved you and it made her day when she saw you, I bet it really made her life better, knowing someone did reach out to her and gave her some kind of company and food and warm thoughts.

I am really disappointed in animal control for not doing anything. That is really sad.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 11:08 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

i am sorry things got to that point...people who dump animals make me so angry, I live out in the country and constantly find dumped animals...I try to find no kill shelters for them, or put up signs to see if they have a home before rehoming or taking to the spca...I am sorry the system and people didn't work for these dogs I am glad though that someone (YOU) cared enough to feed them and love them...and attempt to take care of puppy, what a great thing you did

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I ran into one of the Animal Control guys over the weekend, and he said that in our county there is a law that they can't "dart" an animal unless there is a Vet present. That is ONE reason why they didn't catch Puppy and her companion earlier. He also told me that her intestines were actually perforated. Poor sweet thing.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 06:14 PM
Newborn Pup

That's really sad.. At least she had you there for her! I had someone dump a purebred english foxhound near my house, he was skinny and had ticks. One day he just.. ran off.. Or else someone took him. Good job for helping Puppy

Proudly Owned By

Senegal Bichir ~ Eli
Ferret ~ Cooter Brown
Horses ~ Saturn, Gypsy, Ti, Sharky & Pistol
Dogs ~ Shiloh, Piggy, Buster, Morgan & Rags
Cats ~ Tiger, Leo & Angel
Cows ~ Slobbergut & No name

~*No i brestanneth anirach tirad vi amar*~

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Puppy

I think about Puppy almost every day.....

Tags
animal control, beautiful dogs