My baby bunny has a swollen foot! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rescues For rescue notices, transport requests, shelter needs, shelter listings and safe havens.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Exclamation My baby bunny has a swollen foot!

So I have 4, 5 weeks old bunnies(all rex mixes). One has two gashes on the bottom of his foot. I cleaned them with peroxcide, and tghere fine. But his foot is very swollen and a dark blue color. My dad told me to just put him with his momma, but the momma runs aropung the backyard. And I dont want him to get hurt by a hawk or an owl(there are one of each that stay in the vasinity of my backyard. Im only 16 so the vet isnt an ption for me. PLEASE HELP!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg InjuredRex 015.jpg (49.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg InjuredRex 016.jpg (67.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg InjuredRex 017.jpg (67.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg InjuredRex 018.jpg (70.8 KB, 5 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 01:49 PM
Betta Bomb

Well if a vet is not an option you need to surrender the little guy to a rescue who can provide medical attention or put him with his mom and let natural selection take over (5 weeks is too young to take him away from his mama anyway). Is the mama bunny in an enclosure? Or is she and her babies free to roam around and fair game to the predator birds lurking around? I think the conditions of your backyard are unfit for bunnies if such an injury can occur and there are predator birds flying around.
DO the bunny a favor and get him medical help!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Well, I have lots of rabbits hopping around the yard with our turkeys. We have a shed that we have all of our food for the animals in, along with hay. Its also a storage shed. We keep the door open and I stumbled upon her babys in the hay in the shed. So I let them get old enough to there weaning point and then took them(thats when I saw the injury, I think he must have stepped on something in the shed). I have a home all four are going to. Im pretty sure they can take the baby to the vet, but I just wanted to know if there was anything I could do now to make the swelling go down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 07:52 PM
Rodentologist

You need to contact a local rescue to help you get this situation under control. These rabbits free roaming and having babies constantly which are suffering and not even receiving medical care is absolutely awful.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 09:30 AM
Betta Bomb

"Im pretty sure they can take the baby to the vet," Shame on you for pawning your problems on someone else. It is your responsibility to make sure your animals are provided for and kept safe. Also, 5 weeks is too young to wean them.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 10:53 AM
is a little "special"

Well, I sure hope you can take it to the vet. This is why its a good idea to plan ahead, and save up some money for emergency vet bills. Im 16 too, and I pay all my own vet bills (And my pets enjoy being expensive, so its alot of money!).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

This is odd for me. Im usally the one getting baby bunnies. I've hand raised numerous wild bunnies and returned them to the wild. All I've ever done is rescue animals. For once I needed help. I dont want anyone to think of me as a person who commits animal cruelty. I love my animals so much. I couldnt live without them.
(Im sorry if this came off as rude, I just can't describe how this hurts to think someone thinks im a bad owner)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 05:22 PM
Betta Bomb

No body thinks you're a "bad owner". Um, but hand raising bunnies and releasing them to the wild is super cruel. You make them reliant on people and then, let me guess, in a week they are predator food. Rabbits need to be left alone, no matter how cute. You are not actually "rescuing" them if you return them to the wild to fend for themselves.
Hand raise wild bunnies? In the original post you say they are Rex mixes.... wtf?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 08:54 PM
Rodentologist

Not to mention that domestic rabbits are a completely different species than wild rabbits. You're releasing to their doom -- they're poorly adapted to most of our climates and can't become part of local warrens.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 08:57 AM
Newborn Pup

Hi, Im pretty sure they can take the baby to the vet, but I just wanted to know if there was anything I could do now to make the swelling go down.

All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tags
help!