Ratties (Big Wound) What Is It? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rescues For rescue notices, transport requests, shelter needs, shelter listings and safe havens.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Ratties (Big Wound) What Is It?

Hi everyone,
im new. I joined the site because i have two male fancy rats one called Reggie and one called Ronnie. They are roughly a year and a half old to two years. Today i noticed when i went to clean them out that Ronnie had a lump that is bleeding terribly, its not a scab but not dripping blood. I dont know what this is im so scared that ill lose the little thing, please if anyone has experienced this please let me know. if anyone knows how i can make it better then id be so greatful. im worried sick. its on his stomach.

thankyou so much, kayleigh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 04:42 PM
RAT ADDICT

Do you have pictures?
It could be an abcess.Is the lump hard or soft??
Could you call your vet? It could be an abcess and he scratched it open or something.

Off topic - I have a rat named Ronnie too.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 08:38 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

It sounds like it could be an abscess. I think he should go to the vet to get it checked out.

Maureen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Six new rats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 01:12 AM Thread Starter

is an abscess less fatal ? we are getting an appointment today because yesterday when i made the thread it was night time. what do vets do to an abscess, sorry to ask alot of questions im just so worried about my poor baby.
kindest regards Kayleigh x x x
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 05:20 AM
RAT ADDICT

Abscesses are usually not fatal.
The vet will probably drain it and give you antibiotics.
Good luck.

* Lisa *

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 05:27 AM
Rodentologist

Really, if treated in a timely fashion, most lumps are not fatal, even if they are tumors. Rats are extremely prone to developing lumps of all types, and a knowledgeable rat vet can take them off and treat them for you.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 03:18 AM Thread Starter

The vet said that this is most likely looking like a tumour . It will cost £400 to get it cut off. my mum knows a foundation that helps ill animals and does operations for a donation in return. but should i be putting him through this stress? he is about a year and a half old. I dont know if i want him hurting and in pain while he recovers. kindest regards Kayleigh x x
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 05:17 AM
Rodentologist

Done correctly, he really won't be in much pain, and he'll have pain medication which will allow him not to hurt. Whether or not to put him through it is a decision you have to make. I removed five tumors from one of my rats, and I was always happy that I did to have that extra time with her.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 06:20 AM Thread Starter

did it stress your rat alot? i mean obviously having something cut off of her body made her abit scared, but through the recovery stage was she stressed or unhappy.
thanks kaz x x
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 11:41 AM
Rodentologist

Not really. Going to the vet before surgery she was pretty excited because she likes travelling in the carrier. Coming home she was groggy, but we stayed on top of her pain medications and she never seemed to be in any pain. She was excited for medicine time because she got whatever kind of baby food she wanted with her meds in it.

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 05:10 AM
Playful Pup

You should go to the vet. That might get infected or something. Those kind of wounds must be taken care of fast.

are like potato chips, you really can't have just one…
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 08:20 AM
RAT ADDICT

This thread is from 2009...

* Lisa *

post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 08:54 AM
Playful Pup

Oooopps, sorry. This is the first time I joined a forum and never thought I needed to take note of the thread date. Thanks for letting me know. Will surely look at the date so as not to post on old threads.

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 09:44 AM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BichFrisBeefry View Post
Oooopps, sorry. This is the first time I joined a forum and never thought I needed to take note of the thread date. Thanks for letting me know. Will surely look at the date so as not to post on old threads.
It is okay,don't worry about it.
Some older threads can be revived,but this one the original poster don't come here anymore. Welcome to the forum by the way,hope you enjoy it here.

* Lisa *

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 10:06 AM
Playful Pup

I also think it's an abscessed. You may want to go to the vet to have a check.

Tags
rat wound