URGENT- NYC Raid on Collector - NEED FOSTER AND TRANSPORT HELP! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rescues For rescue notices, transport requests, shelter needs, shelter listings and safe havens.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-23-2002, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

URGENT- NYC Raid on Collector - NEED FOSTER AND TRANSPORT HELP!

PLEASE CROSS-POST AND DISTRIBUTE.

A collector in Brooklyn has been raided. There are over 50 small dogs (Pekes, Chis, Maltese, etc.), as well as 30-40 larger breed dogs (Great Pyranese, Goldens, etc.). The rescue effort is under way to get these dogs out before the city (aka CACC) comes in and just euthanizes them all.
Some may have to be put to sleep because of prolonged neglect, but many are great dogs who certainly deserve a second chance.

The coordinating rescuer is Kashima Orlowski. She told me she needs
emergency foster homes AND transport assistance from NYC to Central New York and wherever else we can get dogs stashed.

If you can help, please email me: [email protected], or call me -
315-243-5200 TODAY. I will give Kashima a list of who can do what and we'll go from there.

Let's save some lives today!

Morgan Kennedy, Director
Better Late Than Never Rescue
[email protected]
315.243-5200
http://www.bltnrescue.org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

UPDATE re:

Rescue efforts are on hold at the moment because the woman will not
formally release any more dogs. Her options have been given to her
(release or face arrest, basically). This situation could change by tomorrow, so if you HAVEN'T contacted me yet, please do so and let me know what you can do. I got so many calls today that I would prefer to just get emails for the moment - thanks.

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!!! For the quick responses and offers of
assistance. The outpouring of generosity was amazing and wonderful and got me going through a rather stressful day.

Stay tuned....

Morgan Kennedy, Director
Better Late Than Never Rescue
[email protected]
315.243-5200
http://www.bltnrescue.org
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

Please crosspost.

This e-mail is being sent out due to the other e-mails that have been
circulating regarding this situation.

As of today 5/30/02, BARC (Brooklyn Animal Resource Coalition) has
taken 22 dogs and 8 cats out of Ava Abarno's place in Bay Ridge Brooklyn. She went under the rescue name of 4NA Tail(not sure
of spelling). Two other dogs were removed through other sources.
Several rescue groups that BARC has dealt with in the past have come forward to help.

We believe Ava still has approx 30 more mostly small dogs, approx 20
cats, 80 birds, some guinea pigs, hamsters and rabbits. Some of the animals have been there for almost three years. Many of them intact.
BARC is having them vetted, evaluated, microchipped, bathed and then
altered. BARC has been able to do this with the help of many very dedicated volunteers, several of whom are fostering BARC dogs while their kennels are being occupied by these new refugees. These volunteers are also helping to walk the dogs at least 3 times a day. Some of the dogs have obviously spent a lot of time in
too small crates. Overall, the dogs are responding very positively to their new environment.

Ava was scheduled to go to court today for an eviction proceeding. If that comes to pass......the remaining animals will need to be removed in the very near future.

Kudos to the people who exposed this place by filming the undercover
footage and to Channel 7 News in NYC for airing it and for doing the followup story. The online link to both this week's story w/footage as well as last week's can be seen at
<http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/news/WAB...elterfolo.html>

Anyone wishing to make a donation to help offset the cost of this
ongoing rescue
effort can go to <http://www.barcshelter.org> where you can make a donation online.
At present we do not have any information or photos on our website about this rescue....please check back on the site within the next week.

Barbara Lukowski
BARC shelter volunteer
our other site <http://www.barc.petfinder.org>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-01-2002, 06:22 PM

That looks a lot like the old Elmsford Animal Shelter conditions. Only as bad as these are - they are better than they were. How sad for the animals!

Tags
animal shelter, breed dogs, guinea pig