Breeder, or Rescue? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
General Rodent Chat Information regarding all rodents or any rodents without their own category.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2002, 11:01 PM
ELH

Wink Breeder, or Rescue?

Wow, normally I breed rats, mice, spiny mice, and hamsters, but lately I feel more like a rescue!

Not that that's really bad, it's nice to help out, it's just strange. I've never owned a chinchilla, but recently had to take one in that had no where else to go. (Owner was college bound, my friend took him, but her Mom forced her to find him a new home). I can't complain, he came with two large cages, a nice thick hammock, dust, two bath houses, food, treats, bedding, water bottle, a large ball, and two food dishes, plus a book on chinchilla care. He seems content and has adapted well, so I'm happy.

Now, I am getting a friendly dwarf hamster from a friend's older brother who is moving out, and a pair of female ratties from a friend's sister who is also moving out. It seems these people get pets then don't know what to do when they decide they want to take off to school!

Between me and my boyfriend, though, we'll be doing fine, not to mention my family helping out. (Mom and Grandma help pay for food, so does my boyfriend, and my Grandpa gets me cages often, too.)

I dunno, I just hadda talk about that, but I'm happy I'm giving these critters somewhere to go, instead of them being turned loose, like I know many people do with small animals when they can't take care of them anymore.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-05-2002, 07:28 AM
Fertile Myrtle

Kudos to you for taking in these animals!! "College Bound" - see that just proves our point about giving a child a chinchilla as a pet... what happens when they move away?? Rescue... so sad.

I am glad he's adjusting well and if you have any questions head over to the chin section and ask away!! (We'd love to see pics, too! )

I am glad there are people like you out there who are willing to take these rescues in.

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-05-2002, 07:46 AM

Thanks for giving these animals a loving "forever" home. Your one heck of a lady.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-05-2002, 08:18 AM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

That is so sweet and kind that you can help out these pets.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-05-2002, 08:35 AM
Known to take her Heinz out for walks

It's great that you are taking in critters that need a home but don't let yourself get overloaded. It can happen before you know it. If you need help holler out to someone else,you yourself can't help them all it takes all of us! Best to you.

Cheryl

Owned by 23 chins,13 dogs,4 chipmunks,2 ferrets,flying squirrel,22 rabbits,30 goats,4 horses,4 guinea pigs and 11 hamsters,2 minature horses. My gosh what a zoo!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-05-2002, 12:26 PM
ELH

Thanks everyone. I will be getting pictures soon of the Chinchilla, he's a cutie, such big ears he has! The two rats and the dwarf hamu are due to arrive within a few days. I'm going tonight to get a few extra things, waterbottles and whatnot.

Just for fun, here's my boyfriend's dwarf hamster we have now.

Tags
doing fine, dwarf hamster, female rat, food dishes, male rat, spiny mice