Broken Squeekers? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
General Rodent Chat Information regarding all rodents or any rodents without their own category.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Broken Squeekers?

Ok, I have three pigs and they have an appointment to see the vet but I want to be semi-prepared before I get there. This vet is wonderful with rats but I'm not sure how she is with pigs. And I could ask her but you know all vets will say they are capable.

Anyway, they do not have any discharge from the eyes or nose. At this time they do not look like they are having any problems breathing BUT their wheeks sound like a squeeker that a dog has punch a hole in. You know the sound like air going through a tube with a timid sqeak at the very end. Imagine us after we lose our voice and we can yell but it's lots of forced silent air with a weird noise at the end. Not their usual loud, clear "WHEEK!" Their breathing also does not sound odd.

I normally wouldn't worry about this with so few symptoms but this happened just a little bit ago to me and the vet I was seeing at the time (CRAPPY VET) never did figure it out and that pig passed away.

I would like to have some ideas when I go to the vet to offer her if she is stumped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 12:26 AM
Playful Pup

Just wondering how the vet went...I hope your vet is as great as our is with all the animals (7 hamsters, rat, hedgehog, and 2 guineas)..Let us know..

Adopt a Rodent from a rescue places instead of buying one at a pet store!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Well that visit went great and the vet thought it might have been a bit of an allergy thing. Kind of like when humans get a frog in their throat because she couldn't find any discharge or abnormalities.

One of the pigs however did end up with CL and was taken in and treated and then stayed at the vets for the next 5 days because I had to go out of town to a wedding and none of my family/friends know much of anything about piggy care.

She is doing great and will be coming home today to veg in a cage by herself for a little longer until she is completely healed. =)

Happy squeeks all around and some popcorning for good measure.

Last edited by HouseFull_O_Fur; 08-10-2009 at 12:10 PM. Reason: spelling *doh*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 12:22 AM
Playful Pup

What bedding do you use? I use 3 layer -> Bottom is newspapers, middle is an old bath towel, top layer is a fleece blanket. I tried carefresh but my girls sneezed aand sneezed...

Adopt a Rodent from a rescue places instead of buying one at a pet store!

Tags
pigs, respiratory, suggestions