Cage Building - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
General Rodent Chat Information regarding all rodents or any rodents without their own category.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Lightbulb Cage Building

Does anyone know of any sites I could go to to find out information on making cages? Or can anyone provide me with information? I have 4 dwarf hamsters and I wanted to make them cages that can be placed on top of each other, or atleast two on each other as I need 3 cages and that might be a bit too tall. I could go ahead and do it with the help I have but I want the right information so nothing goes wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

I was just looking around the forums and read about tub cages. Is it okay to have just a tub or should they have something else connected to the tub too? I'm thinking about that now because it's cheaper and my sister can give me discounts on them. How many holes and stuff would have to be drilled in them? I have a few 90 gallon ones now but they're red and blue so there wouldn't be enough light. :\ Would it be okay to put like their current cages in there and way into them? Should I make like a wire top so more light and air goes in there?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 09:37 PM
Adolescent Pup

cages i use

I raise rats and mice and I use acquariums but im a feeder breeder and you have pets, whats neat is buy those 2-3 story wire cages that have ramps that's fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-30-2004, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

A pair live in an aquarium, one lives in a two story wire cage and the other lives in a 3 story wire cage. I'm just looking to do something new with them and save some room.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 07:28 AM
Playful Pup

Hi Brittney,

I found a pic on a German web site about an idea how to build hamster cages. http://berg.heim.at/almwiesen/411543....htm#Selbstbau

It is not suitable for household with cats or other animals who could get into the cage. If you like it, you can ask me about details. You could put the cages on shelves.
Another option would be to take spacious rabbit cages and put hardware cloth around the bars so that the lil´ones can´t walk through. Sometims shelters need to get rid of cages that people dump with their rabbits, guinea bigs and give them away for free or for a donation. Since there is no problem with air circulation you could put them on each other if they have a side door.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

I broke a tub trying to drill holes, so I don't know if I'll try that again. Cool, thanks Phoebe. That seems better than the tub idea. I just have to wait until I get my vet bill paid off. $40 more bucks to go.

Tags
dwarf hamster, dwarf hamsters, hamster cage, rabbit cage, wire cage, wire cages