Can a Gerbil play with Mice? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
General Rodent Chat Information regarding all rodents or any rodents without their own category.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Can a Gerbil play with Mice?

My daughter's hamster, Sneakers, passed away He was 3.5 years old so we can't complain about his lifespan any...he had a great life and died while sleeping in nice clean warm bedding...nevertheless a sad day it was :/

Today I brought home two female fancy mice and one female gerbil for her. All three are still pretty young...

The gerbil will receive Sneaker's old home and the mice will live in a brand new cage I purchased for them while picking them out...

I'm pretty sure we cannot connect the two cages together because they may not get along? But can they spend time "playing" together? She used to let Sneakers cruise around in Lincoln Log mazes etc and I'm sure she'll want to pull these three new ladies out to exercise and play and learn tricks like she did with the hamster but I'm not sure if she must work with the mice separately from the gerbil or can she work with all three together?

Thanks for any assist!

- Deb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 08:59 PM
Tiny Grosskisser

Yeah, I would definitely not connect the cages!

It's always possible they'd get along, but with the size difference and such, it's also a good possiblity they won't. If you are going to have playtime, make sure to watch them! Mice are extremely fast (I know, we've lost a couple at work) and are hard to catch.

Karen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 12:53 PM
Playful Pup

Gerbils are extremely territorial and will most likely kill any other small animals. Too bad that you took only one gerbil, they need the companion of another one. Still a chance that you could get a litter mate of hers? Same sex of course. The sooner she´ll get a companion the better......
That´s a good web site for more information about gerbils http://www.gerbils.co.uk/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Too bad that you took only one gerbil, they need the companion of another one. Still a chance that you could get a litter mate of hers? Same sex of course. The sooner she´ll get a companion the better......
Absolutely! Already done
Check out this thread: http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21235
They're getting along fantastically

I knew I couldn't keep them with the mice.... just wasn't sure if they could play in the mazes etc at the same time... "out of their territory" but it looks like our best bet is the "better to be safe than sorry" idea

- Deb

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 01:26 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

Gerbils are really nasty to other animals! My friend's gerbils actually tried to attack her degu when the degu accidentally got out of its cage.

Tags
fancy mice