Cat brought home a baby vole unfrtunately he died - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
General Rodent Chat Information regarding all rodents or any rodents without their own category.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

Cat brought home a baby vole unfrtunately he died

Right the other night my cat brought home a baby vole the other night his eyes were still shut and he was tiny about the size of my thumb, unfortunately he passed away a few hours ago but its hit me fairly hard even though i knew of the fact many don't make it without a mother, probably having to feed him all the time, although he seemed a bit weak and it was a struggle to feed him and at first i thought he was a mouse! he did seem to be getting better and when i put my hand in his box he'd climb straight onto my hand lovely little creature unfortunately he passed on he was clickin a lot and from what i've read on here since it sounds like its could of been a respiratory failure.
just thought this might be a the right place to post the couple of pictures i have of him (not sure he was a him but thats what i called him) as a sort of memorial.
When he was dying i thought he was having a seizure and the odd squeek of pain will probably haunt mr for years to come just hope in prolonging his life i made him more confortable and happier than dying in the cold, he did seem happy up until the end though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00249.jpg (69.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00251.jpg (61.0 KB, 13 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 06:07 AM
Hello Earthling

Poor guy.

Cats have a bacteria in their mouth that is lethal to small animals and without proper and immediate medical attention it's a mirical for it to surive. Even with medical attention it's hard to say if it would survive.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

The worst thing about it is he'd only just opened his eyes when i got up that morning then by the end of the day he had passed on, he did seem very weak tho and underweight, i just feel terrible about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 07:04 AM
Adolescent Pup

poor lil guy, at least you helped him/her, thats a good thing you did there

Charlie the cocker spaniel (Male)

R.I.P, Reggie and Moss (jirdy boys) gone but never forgotten
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~The soul is the same in all living creatures, although the body of each is different. Hippocrates~
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Yeah just wish i could have saved him and when he was dying it was awful to watch him struggling for breath he'd stop for a bit then gasp and twitchin seemed in so much pain when i picked him up he squeeked like he was in pain so i put him back in his warm bed seemed a bit more comfortable there, just buried him today couldn't do with the thought of throwing him in the bin really so buried him in the box i used as his bed.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 06:09 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Poor baby... don't feel like its your fault though. RIP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie