Comparison of Rodents - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
General Rodent Chat Information regarding all rodents or any rodents without their own category.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

Comparison of Rodents

I found this comparison of care for different rodents - pretty helpful!

http://uk.geocities.com/delphiusrodents/Differences.htm

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 10:20 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

Nice site, and helful info.

>> Syrian hamsters tend to be less sociable and can bite <<

Mine never bite, and I have 11 right now.

Gerbils >> are the best of the bunch << ?

I love gerbs, but that is a subjective relative comment.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 10:28 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

Let me add. . .

>> Especially if you make a Gerbilarium for them. They can go without being cleaned out for a couple of months. So in that time you should be able to convince your son to clean them out! ;-) Even going that long, the only smell is the smell of the peat.

I find I have to clean out the animals to avoid smells in the following order of smell:

Guinea Pigs (indoors): every other day.

Rats: Every two days.

Jirds, Degus and Hamsters: Once a week

Rabbits & Guinea Pigs (outdoors): once a week.

Gerbils: Once every two months. <<

GP's EVERY OTHER DAY?? Give me a break. I use Carefresh and my two get cleaned out once a week and they are just fine. As I use five dollars worth of the stuff each week I am not doing it every other day - a half hour operation.

Gerbilariums. I doubt if many people could use it right. I clean my aspen-bottomed tanks one every two weeks even if there is no smell as it is more hygenic and keeps bug problems at a minimum.

Oh! I just realized. One gerb who developed an allergy to aspen half a year ago now does NOT have that allergy: I forget a few months ago and put her back on aspen, and she is fine. Odd.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 10:50 PM
Stinky Liverbrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zouave
Oh! I just realized. One gerb who developed an allergy to aspen half a year ago now does NOT have that allergy: I forget a few months ago and put her back on aspen, and she is fine. Odd.
Be careful with that... some allergies don't show signs but are building up slowly, till one day they "explode".

Dimaris

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 10:24 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Good site my only complaint is on the degu description it says they need cleaning out once a week as they smell, mine don't smell at all and i only do a major clean out once a month. They are in huge cages which are still normally pretty clean, the shavings are still always like new. I do give the shelves a wripe once a week and always check the cages thoroughly and replace the bedding and sand etc... but they are always clean and never smell, i must just have clean degu's

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 08:35 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

It's a good site but I disagree with some stuff said about Syrian hamsters. Mine never bit and they weren't smelly...

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 06:21 PM
Naked Dog Mom

My degus don't smell and need to be cleaned that often, either. My rat is fine for a week, not 2 days, as well.

Momma to three pups:

Ein, Pembroke Welsh Corgi (black headed tri) born 7/12/2004
Tucker, golden colored lab mix, rescue - est dob fall 2004
Colleen rough collie (sable and white), rescue - est dob: 2003-2004
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2005, 05:29 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

My degus dont smell either.. I do clean the cage out once a week, only because there are 5 in the cage.. I could leave it longer, if needed..

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

Tags
guinea pig, syrian hamster, syrian hamsters