Dwarf Hamster Help! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
General Rodent Chat Information regarding all rodents or any rodents without their own category.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Question Dwarf Hamster Help!

I clean my female 3 month old dwarf hamsters cage every week and I play with her everyday. A really good cleaning, but she is absolutely disgusting smelling. She has a wheel and decided to make a nest in it and she pees and poops in the wheel and then sleeps in it meaning the poop and pee in the wheel tube thing (why?)... So I have to clean that wheel tube thingy out every day... she rolls around in her pee and poop, and now she smells of it? how can i get her clean? (i tried bath dust, but she doesn't use it and i tried to help her with it, but did not work) and How can I get her to stop pooping and peeing in her wheel or at least sleeping in her poop and pee?

Last edited by merisdef; 06-18-2009 at 02:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 03:17 PM
I am allergic to maths

Try getting her a nesting box, you can find them in a pet shop, just fill it with bedding and she will hopefully sleep there, if not I guess there isnt much you can do. Most hamsters pick a corner to pee in (but all will poop everywhere), but, like yours, some pee in their bedding. You can potty train hamsters, there are special trays you can get but you can just cut in half a butter lid, just put in soiled litter and poop and she will eventually realise where to go potty!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 04:33 PM

EW! im so lucky with mine! My current pair clean their cage by themselves. XD
The love to throw out soiled wood shavings out of the cage. And the female decorates the cage by moving toys/houses around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 07:29 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Potty training is very difficult. If you have a wheel, try cleaning that daily, that is the main stink in my cages.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

Tags
dwarf, hamster