Escapees? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
General Rodent Chat Information regarding all rodents or any rodents without their own category.

View Poll Results: Has your rodent ever escaped?
Yes, and we found him. 18 50.00%
Yes, he escapes all the time. 6 16.67%
Yes, and he never came back! 5 13.89%
No-we have an escape proof cage. 7 19.44%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-25-2003, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Wants to Hug Hose Bunnies

Thumbs up Escapees?

Has your rodent ever escaped? What kind of pet was it? What method did you use to find him/her? How long were they out for?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-25-2003, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Snugger never escaped, and neither did the dwarfs the short time we have had them, but when we first had Baby Girl, I mean she was only living with us about 2 weeks, we went out for our longest period of time since we had gotten her, to a wedding.

As soon as I walked in I knew something was wrong, but couldn't place it. Then out of the corner of my eye, Stunner ran RIGHT PAST Baby Girls face! We were gone 9 hours, and we have no idea how/when he got out. We couldn't believe how lucky we were! The place where we keep his cage, is impossible for the cat toenter, but he managed to get out of the cage and then out of his cages area! We were so lucky, I thanked my lucky stars, and switched his cage!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-28-2003, 09:41 AM
Playful Pup

I've had a rat, a gerbil and two hamsters escape on me.

The rat, Oreo, squeezed through the bars of a new cage I had bought for her and her sister. When she first was missing, I had purchased a live small animal trap to catch her. I was distraught for a couple of days because I could not find her and she did not use the trap. I ended up turning the place over and found her behind some books by the bookcase (she could have got out). I kept wondering if I hadn't found her, would she have died? She was only a few months old and might have been too scared to move (which was my impression).

I also lost a gerbil when I cleaned her cage. When I took her out, she landed on the floor and ran under some furniture. I again was pretty upset, but managed to go over to Wal-Mart and get a live mouse trap (plastic, with a hinged door). I put it out and spread peanut butter lightly on the door and heavily on the inside. It worked! I was ecstatic! I never thought that trap would work, but it did! If I could have, I would have written the manufacturers of that trap to tell them they saved my gerbil!

I also had two hamsters escape. Buttercup got out of his aquarium by climbing up his water bottle and popping the lid off, which was not weighed down. He came over to my bedroom while I was folding clothes to say, "Hi"! I immediately grabbed him and put him back in the cage, this time with a weighted down lid! Patchie escaped twice from his wire cage -- I don't know how he did either of them -- but both times I saw him walk by in front of me and was able to scoop him up both times. After that, he got an aquarium to reside in with a weighted down lid, too!!!!

Sorry if this is long...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-28-2003, 09:51 AM

I have not had the hamsters escape yet but we did have a 9 week old baby chinchilla that escaped his cage (have no idea how the wire was 1/2x1/2) he was gone for about 10 hours, the whole time everyone in the house was going crazy because we have cats.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-28-2003, 01:04 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

we had a chinchilla to escape! he was out for ten hours like sassy said!
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-28-2003, 01:23 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I had a hamster as a child ... we re-named him Houdini after he escaped so many times!!

The last time we found him 2 days later under the TV in the living room (console tv - plenty of space for a lil guy) with probably 3-4 mouthfulls of food stashed there. The funny part is that his cage was upstairs in my room. He had to have made that trek three times at least!

Stephanie

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-28-2003, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Jade that is crazy!

post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-28-2003, 09:52 PM
Playful Pup

Thankfully none of my hamster's have ever escaped. I'd be so worried if Samantha did escape, expecially with a cat on the prowl now.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-28-2003, 11:16 PM
Salamander Buffalokisser

I have had 3 guinea pigs excape on me all at the same time. I was in the boys' room before they went downstairs to the basement to live with my brother. I had taken out the food dish and walked into my bedroom to fill it up with food and left the door to the cage open. I always left the door open and they use to never come out. I walked back and there was no pigs in the cage or in the room. I was afraid that my dog would hurt them because she didn't like small animals. They all had gone into my moms room and hid under her bed, and since I was the only one home at the time I had to catch them one at a time. Needless to say two of them went running and I caught the other one. One went into my room and the other one went down the stairs into the living room where my dog was. I went after the one in the living room next. He could really move and ran right in front of my dog and under the ceder cheast where I got him out using the broom handle to scoot him to me. THe one that went into my room was under my bed so I had to crawl under there and when I got him he squeeled like I was about to kill him. ever since then I close the doors to the cages unless I am in the room with them.

Stephanie
Be who you are and say what you feel
Because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind

check out my blog:

post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-18-2003, 11:39 PM
Erin

i had a gerbil escape once, it was my first gerbil - a female named Ralph. My cat that I had at the time(both the gerbil and cat have long since passed) sat ontop the screen and fell through, the gerbil jumped out and the cat was stuck. My mom and dad(they've been divorced for 10 years if that says something) caught her and put her back in the tank after the cat was removed. Ever since then, I've kept cutting boards or books ontop the cages to prevent that from happening again - and it hasn't !

post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-19-2003, 05:15 PM
Tootie Gizzard-Tush!

Erin, I can just picture that as a cartoon! *lol*

It doesn't matter what temperature the room is. It's always room-temperature.
Life is an endless struggle full of frustrations and challenges, but eventually you find a hairstyle you like.
Sad to think that when the letters 'WWF' are mentioned, most of us think of wrestlers, before the World Wildlife Fund...
The best car safety device is a rear-view mirror with a cop in it.
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?
What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?
All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-19-2003, 06:46 PM
P-Diggity Dog Lover

Cisco the hamster escapes his ball all the time. I just call Cisco and he comes right to me. He doesn't like to be loose. When we had Stewie the mouse, he would escape and go visit all the guinea pigs. Then after his visits he's go back in his cage. We finally got him a 20 gallon tank. He was the coolest mouse!

Donna
Dallas, Houston & Peanut the Prairie Dogs
Gypsy & Amber the Satos
Apache, Amigo, Max, and Morgan the Kitties
Scooter, Annie, Buttercup & Squeaky the Guinea Pigs
Mocha & Latte the Rat A Tats
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 10:33 AM
syewolf

i had a hamster that escaped on me so many times. every time he would escape, i would wake up the next morning, look down on the side of my bed and there he was waiting for me to pick him up. another time he got loose, i came home from work and i looked over to my left, (my couch was near the door) and there he was sitting up on the couch waiting for me. only god knows how long was waiting for me. the best hamster i ever had. everytime he gets loose, he always stays near me to pick him up and put him back.

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

awww!

post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 11:05 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

Wow are mice good escape artists.

Tags
animal shelter, chin room, guinea pig, wire cage