Fed Up! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
General Rodent Chat Information regarding all rodents or any rodents without their own category.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Angry Fed Up!

http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f70/ive-got-mice-44975.html?highlight=wild+mice

Some of you may remember that thread.

Well now I am fed up.I have wild mice in my house.They are in the whole building.Nothing works.They are not phased by my cat and he is not a mouser either,as a few nights ago there was a mouse squeaking in the cupboard (I couldn't find it) and the cat paid no attention at all.And they are obviously not afraid of a cat around.

I have used snap traps and caught a few mice,but obviously there are more.I will never use a glue trap again,as I had an incident earlier this year...and I am not going to use poison,in case my pets or daughter get into it.

I am fed up now...there is a huge hole chewed in the wall,beside the front door which "appeared" overnight! I have a picture,but it is not uploaded.I covered the hole,but I am sure it will be chewed again.

I keep all garbage up or outside and all pet food is stored in bins.
And it is not only mice,as a few months ago I saw a wild rat.I tried catching it,but it outsmarted me and eventually disappeared.I am sure it is around somewhere.There are 7-8 apartments in my building and they all have mice,as the building has been around over 30 yrs.

I just dunno what to do anymore and am planning on moving out after Christmas! It is driving me crazy! I wanna try those high pitched devices which drive mice away,but I am afraid that it will hurt my pets (my pet rats).

Ugh.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 09:01 AM
Hello Earthling

Wow. Have you talked to the building manager person. Wild mice and rats are a serious health concern, and I would be very concerned it there was a young child and pets in the house.

How you crawled around on the floor and covered every possible entrance and looked everywhere else too?Including the outside?

I wouldn't use a high pitched device esp. if you have the same animals as pets that you are trying to keep away, I would be worried about hurting them too.

Other than that I would get out A.S.A.P into a better place.

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

I never went to the landlord/manager.I am afraid they will wanna put poison down,which is what happened at our old apartment.

I have checked all areas for holes.I have found a couple.
They are covered now.

I am definatly moving,but it is gonna have to wait until after Christmas.I have only been at that place a year! But I can't deal with the mice no more.Your right,they are a health threat to all of us in the place.

* Lisa *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 02:19 PM
Adolescent Pup

I know your pain. We had this same issue. I thought I'd go insane! If it wasn't taken care of I probably would have.

Hope you can move right after xmas, its sucks the building is like that. There isn't much you can do if you are living in apartments like that because of all the other people.

Check Them Out

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Yeah...I feel like I am going to go crazy soon! But I am gonna start looking after Christmas to move.In all honesty...I am the only half normal person in the building,I am sure the others don't care!

* Lisa *

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-13-2008, 08:39 PM
Adolescent Pup

Wow that sucks. Watch those little bugger they can make a very big mess out of a house. Once we lived in a town home that had holes in the wals and roaches you name it you could hear the neighbors sing in the shower and othe things and you def. new when they were smoking for it wafeted into our apartment. I can understand your concern over telling the land lord. but be careful and good luck.

Rat Man Dooo

It,s Good to be alive!

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 03:32 PM
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

That is the problem, almost everywhere in this city your going to have mice problems. I have never lived in a house in this city that did not have at least a few of them. Esp. worse in the downtown area. They become most noticeable in winter because it is cold and they need both shelter &food.

I say get one ultrasonic things for the main areas where they are more located, but keep farther away from the rats. Watch the rats to see how they deal with it &if they dont get stressed out, then should be fine. Good luck!

// k a t ((d)) 猫ちゃん ☆~(ゝ。∂)
私は武井靖巣あなたをして

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 11:09 PM
Part of the Pack

In my work the mice are so brazen that they run across my feet, I found one in my purse I stupidly left open on the floor and I caught one running across my desk. and Lastly a few mice got into our chips and chewed the corners off the bags, the shop guys never noticed and were eating away until the service manager lifted a bag and chips fell out along with mouse poops..DISGUSTING!!

Now I love little mice but this is too much! The guys want to put down poison that makes them bleed to death from the insides, I think that sick!! Blech.

Simply enough, your landlord needs to hire an exterminator to get rid of these buggers. I would never have the heart to kill them myself, and I know you feel terrible about killing them. But it does get to the point it becomes a health hazard, especially when you have children!

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 01:13 AM
Dinky Corsetkisser

I hope you are able to find a nicer place soon, I know with all your pets and chloe its got to be so hard to deal with...its so hard to feel like you have no where to turn to for help, when we lived in apartments it was really bad as well...but our manager hired a guy who got rid off them...

we are having issues with wild mice right now as well...they are moving in to the homes because they bull dozed the fields around here where they lived, they chewed up the stuff in the garage and now we have found them in our cupboards, not cool to have the little buggers near your food...so we are going to call someone to see what we can do...no poisons or anything that could harm my animals will be used, but I have to do something...Frahnz has caught sevral and I am so happy he has, but there are still so many...

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 06:38 AM
Super Moderator

Did you ever try live traps? I know you said you couldn't find any in stores near you but I'm sure you could find some online that would ship to you. My parent's had a really bad rat infestation in their backyard/shed and my dad got it under control pretty quickly with a live trap.

I know you said your planning on moving soon anyways, but maybe it would help some untill then.

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 07:18 AM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

I have mice as well >_<
I get them every winter. They are quite annoing, but at the same time, mine are very funny. They run around on my floor, and I often see them when they run around. They are not all that bothered with me to be honest.
I know I should try and kill them, but I feel so bad when I do that, so they just get to stay here, until I get so annoyed, that I don't mind if they die >_<

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Thanks everyone.
It has come to the point,where I don't even find wild mice cute anymore.

My old apartment actually didn't have wild mice.
But the apartment under me did...so I am sure there may of been one or two around,I just never seen them or any signs.There was never a problem there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonrain View Post
Did you ever try live traps? I know you said you couldn't find any in stores near you but I'm sure you could find some online that would ship to you. My parent's had a really bad rat infestation in their backyard/shed and my dad got it under control pretty quickly with a live trap.

I know you said your planning on moving soon anyways, but maybe it would help some untill then.
I actually found live traps! Finally!!!! There is a whole section of mouse/rat traps in Home Depot and I was looking at everything and found live traps! Yay! I am going to pick some up and see what happens and if they work.Cept I would release the buggers far,far,far away from my place!

* Lisa *

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-24-2008, 05:43 PM

You need to go like a couple of miles away to be sure the mouse will not get back in. If you have a pest problem with mice, it's far better to kill them.
Sounds cruel, but you will never get rid of them the other way (been there)

/Pia

Breeding since 2005

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-24-2008, 05:43 PM

You need to go like a couple of miles away to be sure the mouse will not get back in. If you have a pest problem with mice, it's far better to kill them.
Sounds cruel, but you will never get rid of them the other way (been there)

/Pia

Breeding since 2005

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-24-2008, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

I know,but killing doesn't seem to work either.I have had some get trapped...but there are always more.There are a couple wild rats now as well.I covered one of their holes up and apparently the landlord has poison all around the outside of the house (kinda worried about that...cause of people's pets) and in the basement...so we'll see.

* Lisa *

Tags
wild mice