France warned by EU court over rare hamsters - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
General Rodent Chat Information regarding all rodents or any rodents without their own category.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 09:16 PM
[**||Seahorse Chick||**]

Slightly off topic, but so glad we don't have an EU Commission in the US. I feel like a country should have their own say in what they do. It might seem like sense to a point, but that line can get crossed so easily. France's economy isn't that great right now and farmers should grow what makes sense. These hamsters ought to be moved or have some raised in captivity to increase their numbers - it doesn't make sense to pause modern life as it is to protect a species, especially farming - it makes more sense to place a species where it will thrive naturally with the changing world around it. Designate an area or reserve, but don't force the farmers to grow alfalfa.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
Curmudgeon

Some people don't believe that agriculture is more important than wildlife.

Moving populations is neither easy, nor is it often successful. That is why is almost never even attempted.

As a people, folks have to decide whether they want a world with or without wild animals.

If you want wild animals, sometimes (just like everything in life) there have to be sacrifices.

Thanks to modern agricultural technology, farmers can grow food in a large variety of habitats and environments. The same can not be said for some rare species of animals.

I'm willing to pay a little more at the market for my food and keep wild animals in the world.

Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 07:32 PM
[**||Seahorse Chick||**]

I think it's a short term solution to a long term problem. As our civilization matures, there will be species caught in the cross-fire. And they can either adapt or go extinct. If they are precious enough for people to want to save them, then people will find a way to save them. I just don't think people should force other people to work around them. It's not good for the people being forced and it's not good for the species that is not being forced to adapt and live alongside us - instead they will always be vulnerable and someday when a law is revoked and people move on with daily life as usual, the change will happen at once and it could wipe them out because they have not had to adapt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 06:28 AM
Betta Bomb

I couldn't fathom the idea of having a "wild hamster" problem in which they become as destructive as mice getting into the house and stealing food and all that.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 10:07 AM
[**||Seahorse Chick||**]

yuck me neither.