France warned by EU court over rare hamsters - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
General Rodent Chat Information regarding all rodents or any rodents without their own category.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Curmudgeon

France warned by EU court over rare hamsters

We don't often think of Hamsters as being endangered animals:
Quote:
21 January 2011 Last updated at 07:39 ET
A top EU legal adviser has warned the French government that it must do more to protect endangered hamsters living near Strasbourg in eastern France.

France could be fined if the European Court of Justice rules that it has failed to heed a final warning from the European Commission in 2008.

Numbers of Great Hamsters of Alsace are dwindling. The Commission says only 298 burrows were found in 2010, down from 1,167 in 2001.

Check this link on the BBC for the whole article.

Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 03:03 AM
Super Moderator

I read the article and it was interesting. All we have to do is look to the Amazon to see what happens when animal species are not protected properly.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 09:51 AM
Betta Bomb

Hm. I had no idea hamsters lived anywhere wild outside of deserts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 05:51 AM
Adolescent Pup

I didn't know until recently that all golden (syrian) hamsters in the pet trade all come from one female found in the wild, she was captured and she was pregnant, she gave birth, and all golden hamsters come from that one litter, they've never found any more in the wild since or the male that made her pregant...how strange :S

Charlie the cocker spaniel (Male)

R.I.P, Reggie and Moss (jirdy boys) gone but never forgotten

~The soul is the same in all living creatures, although the body of each is different. Hippocrates~
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 06:03 AM
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie28 View Post
I didn't know until recently that all golden (syrian) hamsters in the pet trade all come from one female found in the wild, she was captured and she was pregnant, she gave birth, and all golden hamsters come from that one litter, they've never found any more in the wild since or the male that made her pregant...how strange :S
That is incorrect, they did manage to capture and keep a female ALIVE whom was pregnant and brought from the desert but they most certainly still live there. They where domesticated for centuries and began to look like the Syrian Hamster we know now. They are an endangered species, but not extinct.

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 10:16 AM
Resident Zoologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacrima View Post
That is incorrect, they did manage to capture and keep a female ALIVE whom was pregnant and brought from the desert but they most certainly still live there. They where domesticated for centuries and began to look like the Syrian Hamster we know now. They are an endangered species, but not extinct.
Actually both incorrect. The original Syrian hamsters were captured by a British team in 1938, and most pets come from an original six. A second group (of, I believe, 5) was captured in the 1970's by an American. All pet Syrian hamsters can trace their genetics back to these 11 wild specimens.

However, the hamsters referred to in this article are Cricetus cricetus, a very different species than the commonly kept pet Syrian hamster, Mesocricetus auratus.

G. A. Christian Bilou, Herpetologist
Aquarist since 1971
Director, Reptile Rescue Alberta (Est. 1994)

Past-president, Calgary Aquarium Society (Est. 1951)

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 08:24 PM
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toirtis View Post
Actually both incorrect. The original Syrian hamsters were captured by a British team in 1938, and most pets come from an original six. A second group (of, I believe, 5) was captured in the 1970's by an American. All pet Syrian hamsters can trace their genetics back to these 11 wild specimens.

However, the hamsters referred to in this article are Cricetus cricetus, a very different species than the commonly kept pet Syrian hamster, Mesocricetus auratus.
I learned that in 1839 a British zoologist named George Robert Waterhouse was the one who found them.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

From what I've heard on the news recently, France is not going to do much to prevent the hamsters from dying off.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 06:33 PM
Resident Zoologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacrima View Post
I learned that in 1839 a British zoologist named George Robert Waterhouse was the one who found them.
Correct...that was the holotype for the species...however is was not until nearly for decades later that viable live specimens were brought into the UK, and that bloodline was all dead by 1910. It was another 20 years until live specimens left Syria again, and the handful exported that time were the progenitors of the current pet-stock.

G. A. Christian Bilou, Herpetologist
Aquarist since 1971
Director, Reptile Rescue Alberta (Est. 1994)

Past-president, Calgary Aquarium Society (Est. 1951)

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 12:53 PM
Zoo Keeper

Thats sad. As much as I hate putting animals in captivity the wild european hamsters are so cool esp the ones with black bellies

Proud Mommy to-
Cat: Emma
Rats: Apollo, Yuki, Ember, Mei
Hamsters: Kodi, Bear, Koda, Abbi

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 10:57 AM
Playful Pup

All European Hamsters have black bellies <_<

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 12:38 PM
Zoo Keeper

thats not what I meant stop making trouble.

Proud Mommy to-

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 02:15 PM
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliriyanna View Post
thats not what I meant stop making trouble.
#1 It's not a big deal I was poking fun
#2 I'm not making trouble
#3 All European Hamsters have black bellies

Quote:
the wild european hamsters are so cool esp the ones with black bellies
That is what you meant because that's what you said.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 02:18 PM
Zoo Keeper

take it how you want I am tired of the trouble. I forgot a line but its not worth the trouble.

Proud Mommy to-

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 12:23 AM
Playful Pup

There is no trouble LOL You are escalating this.