Hampster help - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
General Rodent Chat Information regarding all rodents or any rodents without their own category.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

I have a hampster and she had babies well.....A baby. When she started giving birth she kept "pushing it back in". Is it normal for hampsters to only have one baby?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 05:04 PM
Part of the Pack

I think it is normal to have anywhere 4-6 pups, and they can have up to 20 pups. I think they take time off in between giving birth to each one, but I don't remember how long. How long has it been since she had it? I know w/gerbils, if a gerbil has just one then it is a good chance it is not that healthy, I read that on a website a few years ago.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 09:05 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

What kind of hamster?

I had a Syrian who once had an ACCIDENTAL litter of 12 (I kept them all), and a dwarf who had three.

And that is not common. Leave them alone and give them peace and quiet, and a place to hide in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittlePaws
I think it is normal to have anywhere 4-6 pups, and they can have up to 20 pups. I think they take time off in between giving birth to each one, but I don't remember how long. How long has it been since she had it? I know w/gerbils, if a gerbil has just one then it is a good chance it is not that healthy, I read that on a website a few years ago.
The baby is a healthy baby girl and its now i believe 20 days old so she has hair and is eating and drinking on her own now. We were pretty lucky. I think the mom was just a tad over protective of the baby because she is still carrying the baby around. I used to have mice and the mother never carried the babies around that much but i figured hampsters are a lot different then mice.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

What kind of hamster?

By looking at pictures online my hampsters look like Russian Dwarf Hampsters.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 03:12 PM
Adolescent Pup

I have a chinease Dwarf Murray.

Hes a boy and doesnt have any babies, mainly because i have heard of Females going psycho and killingthe males.

But hes tiny about 2 1/2 inches long.

I rescued him from petco!

I would love to see pics of your mama and her baby!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pictured are:
Center my 6yr old Ferret Cinnamin
Lower Left Corner: my 13ft 30lb Dwarf Reticulated Python Squigs.
Upper Right Corner: My 3yr old Ball Python Kona.
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*
These are only a few of my managorie im missing 2 more snakes, my hamster, and my 2 torts.
Hey what can i say other than... I Live At A Zoo!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Also The rottie in My Avatar is My 5yr old Seymur & my 10 Yr old German Shepherd Shaddow!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 05:01 PM
Part of the Pack

That sounds so cute, her carrying the baby. Awwww...

I use to breed gerbils. And I bought the mother from Petco, I wanted to house her w/ a very lonley male gerbil that was depressed over losing his cage mate.

After her first litter, she did not really now me well yet. I noticed that she was putting the babies in a corner of the tank where there was no litter. I was concerned with the babies being cold. So I decided to help her and move them to a more warmer side of the tank. She ramed into my hand and bit me.

By her second litter. I was playing with her babies. I guess I kind of gave up taming her, because she was very fiesty and bad tempered w/me. Suddenly she jumps into my hands like to say "I am your baby too!!" from there on she was tamed. Jealous little girl she was.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 12:43 PM
Playful Pup

LOL Almsot all of mine are tame . I actually ahve a person coming to buy 2 chinese dwarf hamsters today. But I stil ned homes for the other 6.

Levittown,Pa.

Tags
cage mate, chinese dwarf hamsters, dwarf hamster, dwarf hamsters