Help for some hot mice - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
General Rodent Chat Information regarding all rodents or any rodents without their own category.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Help for some hot mice

I need some help for our mice. We have 2 female (christmas presents for my kids) They have been great this winter. To keep their night noise down we place them in our walk in closet at night. (My husband is a LIGHT sleeper!) Even the tiniest noise wakes him up - like the refrigerator and even the clock!! This closet arrangement isn't going to work when it get's warmer and that will be very soon. We live in Sacramento, CA. I have thought about putting our mice on the patio outside at night. We live upstairs in a apartment. My QUESTION IS: Does anyone have experience with this problem? Any bad results of placing mice outside at night?
I'd love to hear any and ALL suggestion! Thanks, Molly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 01:37 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

The cage would have to be VERY secure and temps moderate all night. Even if you are on a second floor, they will subjected to wildlife that might want to eat them for dinner.

Brenda
Caretaker of 2 dobermans,, 1 schnauzer, 5 cats, 3 goats, 1 parrot, 1 bearded dragon lizard, 11 chinchillas.
Rest in peace, Cricket, Casey, Bella, Yank, Chloe and Bones.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 02:22 PM
Herp Nerd

I personally would be scared to death someone's cat, or a possum or something would find an interest in them.

Rav

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 05:01 PM
Stinky Liverbrain

Yeah, I would be scared of a cat getting to them... or even a wild mouse or rat that might pass on a wild disease that your mice have no defences against.

Dimaris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 05:09 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I agree with everyone else i wouldn't want to risk it leaving them out all night, i wouldn't with any of my pets! Isn't there anything else you could try like putting them in another room and closing the door? As surely that would be the same as putting them in the closet and much safer than them being outside?

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 07:47 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravnos
I personally would be scared to death someone's cat, or a possum or something would find an interest in them.

Rav
Obviously. Or an owl.

No deal.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2005, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input everyone

I do agree with the dangers of putting them outside. Our problem is complicated by fact that we live in a small apartment that doesn't have anyplace that can be shut off without it getting too hot. Here in Sacramento we have most summer days around 100 degree's and over. Putting this aside, however I will not place them in danger!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2005, 06:32 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

They are in danger with the temp over 100 F.

I hate the Summer as I am going to have to turn on my big old air conditioners all over to keep them cool, and it will be reflected on my electric bill. Gotta do it.

BTW, a cooling trick is to leave a little ice in a tray, some frozen peas or carrots around, and my favorite, freezing for many hours some ceramic tiles and then putting them in the bottom of a tank.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2005, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Thanks for the advice, Zouave

An unfortunate thing is that we don't have air conditioning but I will definetly try the ceramic tiles. Great idea. Also frozen peas and carrots - hey maybe they'll even eat them.

Spiderman and Patches
(our two mice)
say: Thanks everyone for your
ideas!!!!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-2005, 08:14 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Would a fan placed near their cage help?

My handsome Prince

Swirly, Squashy, Squishy, Spot, Star, Slash and Rocky

Indy and Myfanwy

Tilly, Emil, Sonny and Smudge
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-2005, 09:21 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

All that would do is move the hot air around. Is there anyway you can invest in an ac? They aren't that expensive, and I'm sure you would enjoy the benifit as well. I definatly agree that placing them outside would be a no-no.

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 01:52 PM
Part of the Pack

An A/C window unit is best, but if you can't afford it, you can freeze water in small Evian water bottles (with the cap on) and then place one in their cage every day. Or change them out every 12 hours. The mice can wrap around it and stay cool and when the ice melts, the water stays contained in the bottle.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Plummie

I really like this idea of the frozen water bottle. I will definetly give it a try! We may still get a AC (haven't discussed it with my hubby), expense is an issue, cost of running it.

Thanks everyone for your input!