How to catch a rat!? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
General Rodent Chat Information regarding all rodents or any rodents without their own category.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008, 03:57 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

How to catch a rat!?

Okay...so...I have a rat in my house.A wild guy and he is still young,looks the size of my Dox...so I say about 10-11 weeks,maybe a tad older.

I just found him a few minutes ago.Around 5am I woke up to LOUD chewing.There are wild mice here,so I assumed it was the mice and I got up and tried to find the sound.I didn't find it,so I went back to bed.Then I heard something eating at the dog dish and it wasn't the dog,because he was by my feet.So I looked and there was a little rat! He didn't seem too scared either.When I moved he ran behind the stove and I tried to catch him,but he crawled INTO the stove.

Okay...so I NEVER had a wild rat in my house before and while he's cute,I don't want him here.So any tips on how to catch him,so I can release him somewhere else????

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008, 06:20 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

the live traps, wire ones i think he'd be too big for a little plastic mouse trap

umm dog food for bait?

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008, 06:22 AM
Will It Ever Change?

the problem with this, is that if you see one rat that is that young, it means there's more. just like the mice, for every one you see, there's probably 3 more you can't see. i think you need a cat, an exterminator, or to move lol

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008, 06:27 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

not always, we had a young female mouse a while ago that came in in a new stove, sometimes they get in in something else and their are just more NEAR by

[/CENTER]

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008, 07:00 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Since he is so young and bold, he could very well be alone. If he was with others you'd think they would be teaching him what to be afraid of. Of course there is a definite chance there might be more, so keep an eye out.

I guess one of those live traps is your best option. If he is actually alone then you might not have much trouble catching him since he's so unafraid. I agree that dog food for bait is a good idea because he already knows that's a good thing to eat.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendalle View Post
the live traps, wire ones i think he'd be too big for a little plastic mouse trap

umm dog food for bait?
I did bait a large container with dog food laid on it's side near the stove,which if he crawls into...he won't be able to get back out if I upright it.The only thing about that is I would have to sit close by and watch it,so I could upright it if he crawled in...and I have to run out today,so that is kinda out of the question.

No stores sell actual live traps around here.Because I checked for the mice and there was none.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulder View Post
the problem with this, is that if you see one rat that is that young, it means there's more. just like the mice, for every one you see, there's probably 3 more you can't see. i think you need a cat, an exterminator, or to move lol

Thats true.
The mouse problem is not huge fortunatly,but this is an old building and I am not suprised there are mice and now rats here.This is the VERY first wild rat I seen here since I moved in.

I don't want to get another cat.I had a cat and he got outside and went missing (most likely my old neighbours have him) and because of that,I really don't wanna get another.I miss Hatchet.However when he was around,the mice were gone! No signs of them at all...I wish he was here now.

As for moving...I do want to move.I been in this house 1 yr exactly,but I hate my neighbours,have mail problems and HATE the carpet and the landlord won't pull up the carpet...so I thought of moving,but man...I HATE moving.It's so much work.And I do like my neighbourhood and the cheapness of this place.

* Lisa *

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008, 07:09 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

you don't have any farm stores there? no mills farm fleet, no blains, no norby's, no anything? order online then, they are good to keep on hand anyway, rat sized mouse size... .

[/CENTER]

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah - My parents were having problems with rats in their shed so my dad started putting out the live trap and catching them, then releasing them somewhere far away. The traps work really well and have helped a ton. I think my dad got his at the hardware store, but I'm sure you could find them online if you can't find a store that has them.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendalle View Post
you don't have any farm stores there? no mills farm fleet, no blains, no norby's, no anything? order online then, they are good to keep on hand anyway, rat sized mouse size... .
I know there are feed stores somewhere in Newfoundland,but I am not sure they are in St.Johns.I will have to look into it or maybe check the hardware stores.That is a place I never checked...but Wal-Mart,Zellers,the grocery stores and other BIG stores don't have live traps...

* Lisa *

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 04:01 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

at walmart sometimes they have them, but not in the mouse trap section its the hunting gun section

[/CENTER]

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 05:53 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Yep sometimes you have to look in different sections. I have found live traps for mice in the "extermination" section but never traps beg enough for ratties. I would just call around and ask, or look online for a place that will ship to canada.

I just tried to do a search on places that would ship to Canada. I didn't search really hard so I'm sure there are some out there. Google Search havahart traps

*Missy*
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 11:06 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

Good luck on your rat hunt LOL
Hmmm... I'm not sure about this.
I can only think live traps unless you had the time to set up your own trap.
And if you do want to make your own trap, than my idea would be to get a tub, turn it upside down and prop it upwith something, and put bait underneath. Tie some string to the tub and sit far away, than once he goes under, pull the string and, wham, down goes the tub with him underneath. But that takes time and pateints... sooo... it might not be a good idea hehe.
Good luck again, luv ya xxx

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 11:54 AM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

Trouble with the tub and the prop and string thing is when you have trapped him under it how do you get him out coz when you lift the tub he is gonna run lol

*Carla*
I
my animals!
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Thanks for the suggestions.
I have a homemade trap set up...but the thing is...I have been out alot,so I cannot or didn't have time to sit down and wait.

He is not too scared though,as he peeks out from behind the stove...even when I am inches away!

* Lisa *

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 04:58 PM
Hello Earthling

Another trap you could make that you wouldn't have to sit by is...

Get a large bucket (deep) fill it with bait,make a ramp out of books or wood so he can climb up and then make a small plate form over the bucket that will tip when he's on it and BAM he's stuck in the bucket.

Tags
wild rat