How did you get hooked on rodents? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
General Rodent Chat Information regarding all rodents or any rodents without their own category.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

How did you get hooked on rodents?

How did you get interested in rodents (or your rodent of choice) was it an impulse decision ( love at first sight) or have you always been fond of all things small and fuzzy?

I had a guinea pig growing up and then birds. I loved both but really enjoyed the personality of the guinea pig and the train-ability of the birds.

I think I've got the best of both worlds with my degus!

Degu mum to Rascal, Sugar & Baby

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Blogging about my degus at degucage.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 07:26 PM
the rodent lover<3

When I was in kindergarten I got my first hamster. It died after about 2 weeks from wet-tail and we kept getting new ones to be happy. As I got older I actually knew how to take care of them, and got a bit more educated on them. Now i'm hooked!!

my name is Jonni,
i'm weird for making my username
Angelica

~ one Betta, unnamed as of now ~
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 09:48 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

At my middle school, my science teacher wanted to get a pet snake and then I remember the day she brought in a little ruby-eyed albino baby mouse. My friend showed me her and we fell in love at first sight! We named her Marshmallow (: Then I did a lot of research on them and my teacher let me take care and breed the mice there, I played with them all during lunch and in between classes and during science class too.

Then we had a cage with 4 girls and I brought them home over a long break and it was the BEST! I got some of my own and I absolutely LOVE mice! Then hearing about rats and seeing some at the pet store inspired me to get them and now I am just addicted to rodents of all kinds!

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 01:54 AM
I am allergic to maths

Ive grown up around small (and not so small) animals all my life. I have had my own hamsters since I was seven and I guess I got addicted lol. I have had birds since I was about five (I had two cockatiels) but now we have budgies and I dont really care for them much. I would love cockatiels again though. I am officially a rodent nerd! I even research them in my spare time...
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 06:25 AM
Newborn Pup

Started with the first two guinea pigs me and my siblings shared, they were so gorgeous. We quickly ended up with 17 in total. I miss them all so much

Then there were the school gerbils (before seeing these two I'd never seen gerbils before lol) and a friends rats, hamster and mouse. All of these guys were so wonderful to spend time with it made me realise that rodents were definitely the way to go.

Rodents, to me, are just more affectionate than bigger animals in their own special way. Won't be getting any more until I move out and have more space and then there are going to loads of them lols

Crazy Rodent Lady of the future here to steals you knowledge for my own mwahaha

My zoo currently contains...

x2 Gwyn and Eofor
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 07:00 AM
Suffers from Title Envy

as a kid, I mean a 9yr old kid! I was into the Goth scene. I loved black, Marilyn Manson, etc.
So, I went out and got me a snake, because it was evil and tough LOL

It was a big guy who ate rats. I started breeding rats to feed it and I quickly realized that the rats were a much better pet than the snake. So I ended up giving away my snake, and keeping the rats! I had rats for 7 yrs until a couple of years ago. I woke up one morning and became allergic and had to re home my last two.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 10:50 AM
RAT ADDICT

Growing up,we always had hamsters.But as I got older,I wanted something different and started asking for guinea pigs.Mom didn't want guinea pigs in the house because they smell.So I told my nanny I wanted GP's and she gave me the money for everything they needed and them.But mom still said no.So she took me to the pet store anyway and said I could get something else besides GP's.

I looked at the mice and immediately wanted them.I was 12 when I got my first mice and of course didn't research.I assumed they were like hamsters,except cuter.I got a pair of girls and one was pregnant.I knew NOTHING about mice and had to start researching then.But I fell in love with mice and had them since.

I got into rats at an early age,my old friend had some and I loved them.Mom said no though.She likes rats,but didn't want to get them in case I stopped caring for them.One day I went out and there was a lady selling rats at a festival.I got two and brought them home without telling mom.I assumed they were just big mice.BOY was I wrong!? The rats had no cage and ended up living in a spare room.That room was THEIRS.Unfortunatly they were very nippy and not friendly at all and nothing like the rats my friend had and so I gave them to another friend with a snake.I didn't think I would ever get rats again.But then met my cousin's big male rat,Nibbler and was hooked.He was a great rat and so I went out and got another rat and have not been without rats since!

I got a gerbil and another hamster since owning rats and mice and even got my guinea pigs after all these years of mom saying no,since I am an adult now...and I have to say RATS and mice are my true loves! Rats more though.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Wow vanilliarat you've gone through the whole spectrum of rodents huh?

BethV you had 17 guinea pigs?!?! At once! That's a lot of guinea pigs, you must have had a whole room for them huh?
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 12:21 PM
RAT ADDICT

Yup,I have had hamsters,a gerbil,rats,mice and piggies.
Rats are where my heart is though!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 02:28 PM
Hello Earthling

I got my first (and only rodent) when I was 10 (I think) after my brother and I pestered my mother. I got a hamster named Key Lime.

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 05:00 PM
Newborn Pup

Two separate sets of hutches in two sheds, 'twas hard work looking after that many I won't be going over ten at one time ever again lol.

Crazy Rodent Lady of the future here to steals you knowledge for my own mwahaha

My zoo currently contains...

x2 Gwyn and Eofor
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 05:52 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

When I was a kid, the only pets I was allowed to have were hamsters. So I definitely got attached to them!

I first fell in love with degus when I saw a couple for sale in a pet store. I went home and did tons of research. A year later they got in more and I bought my first pair .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 02:05 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

aw this is a nice thread! love all your stories
We always had cats and dogs and fish in the house since I was born, but with my older brother we wanted pets of our own when we were smaller and my parents got us each a female hamster, they had to be housed in different cages. They were very nippy, and I got bit a lot but wasn't scared. My hamster was orange and my brother's black. I don't remember their names... They didn't live very long and both died almost at the same time I remember they had to be put on top of the kitchen cabinets to keep the cats from getting to them!
After that, I got a baby lionhead bunny when I was about 8, his name was Jeannot and I loved him to pieces! we had a room in the garage where I could go with him and let him run around. I moved to the US and gave him to a good friend who let him live a very happy bun life in his garden.
I moved back to france and my mom got me a black and white bunny from friends who were moving away, his name was Otto! so beautiful! I ADORED that bunny, he was soooo sweet! but I moved to the US AGAIN and gave otto to the friend I had given jeannot, and he was so happy! got to live outside (they had a super nice fenced garden and a little hut in the garden where he could hide and nap and be all warm and they grew loads of veggies and fruit trees. bunny heaven)
In the US, my little brother had 4 hamsters, they were so cute! And then we got Sammy sam the guinea pig with a missing foot because no one wanted him!
When I moved to montreal for my studies, I felt very animal lonely, it was the first time I lived in a home with no pets at all! And I REALLY wanted a rat because i'd heard they made real good pets. But my landlord wouldn't allow it and I had no money to afford the costs.
Last year, I went to a friend's house and she had a baby rat, I fell in love! So when I worked at a pet shop last year, I just had to adopt a beautiful blazed girl that was in the feeder bin!
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 09:31 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

When I was about 8 or 9 (14-15 years ago) I saw this TV program about different pets.
This one guy came on the program, and had 7 chinchillas.
I've been hooked ever since.

When I was about 11 some of my parents friends daughter had a chin who got to kits, and they asked if I wanted one.
My mom told me to get a book, and read trough the whole thing (a lot to do for a kid that didn't like reading that much at the time), and so I did. I got the only book available, and got trough the whole thing.

Then there was no way back for my mom.
We went to their friends, and I got to pick out one chin of the two kits.
There was a black one with a white belly, and what I thought was a grey one... I picked the grey one.
Later on I found out that my male was a Brown Velvet, the brother must have been a Black Velvet and the mom was a Pink White.

So I've been hooked ever since. Now I'm just totally crazy about chinchillas. Would love to write my masters on the wild chinchilla

Because of my addiction to chinchillas I prefer animals that have quite a long lifespan. I'm not all that happy about animals only living to about 2 or 3 years of age.

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 07:13 AM
Adolescent Pup

-I have a soft spot for anything soft and cuddly, we always had cats growing up so mum wouldn't let me get gerbils or hamsters.

-I went to an interactive farm when I was about 21 with my niece and we went to the baby animal holding centre, where they had baby rabbits, ducks, mice and guinea pigs. I fell in love with the scamperings of mice. I had wanted a mouse ever since but was still at uni and training to be a teacher. I waited until I had qualified and now have my own place. The boyfriend who is scared of animals was an obstacle to my dream but little by little he has come to care about Little Winston and now he is a big part of our lives (although he still won't hold him)

I am totally hooked on mice now and want more when we move to a bigger place. If all goes well with the mice, I hope to learn to look after some ratties too and when I'm really confident move on to sugar gliders as well as rodents.

Mister Winston Shiny-Sides