I have a fear of rodents, but want to get over it! - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
General Rodent Chat Information regarding all rodents or any rodents without their own category.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 05:28 PM
RAT ADDICT

I am a rat owner.I also used to have mice.There is a big difference between wild and domestic. I think wild mice and rats are cute,but I also have wild mice in my house and have no problems with trapping them.They are destructive,can carry disease and are generally just pests.Not to mention they can make me,my daughter or my pets sick.

DOMESTIC rats and mice are different.They do not carry disease and are quite clean.They are also smart and bond with their owners,well the rats do at least...my pet mice didn't care too much if I was there or not,as long as they got food,they did not bite though and some of them would climb into my hands on their own...but the rats are a whole other level.They play,they can be trained,they are affectionate,they recognize their owners and they are less likely to bite then hamsters.They are just HIGHLY misunderstood.

Watching mice/rats in a pet store is a start...maybe read up a bit online about them or watch videos of PET rats/mice on YouTube? Or look at pictures? (I have plenty of ratty pictures if you are interested...including pics of my 6 yr old daughter holding the rats.She has never been bitten).Also a good idea is to watch your niece interact with her pet mouse...that could help a lot too.

Anyway good luck.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 07:26 PM
is a little "special"

Just wondering... Are you only afraid of mice and rats, or are you scared of hamsters, gerbils, ect too?

Im going to go ahead and post some adorable pics, LOL.

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs17/f/20...hy_Ophelia.jpg

Now, don't those wittle faces just melt your heart??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."

Last edited by Jess; 01-08-2011 at 07:28 PM.
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 09:34 PM
RAT ADDICT

Jess,you beat me to it...so I am going to share a few of my babies.

These are a few of my babies...Captain when he was young.

Armin (dumbo) & Blizten (rex)...(R.I.P)

Little baby Koz (R.I.P)

Saffron (R.I.P)

* Lisa *

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 09:36 PM
RAT ADDICT

Some of my babies in the past...aren't they cute?

* Lisa *

post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 11:50 PM
is a little "special"

Awww, your little ones are so cute! I love baby Captain!

(BTW, the rats I posted arent mine... They are just random cute little ratties off Google images. In case anyone was wondering.)

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 08:30 AM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
Awww, your little ones are so cute! I love baby Captain!

(BTW, the rats I posted arent mine... They are just random cute little ratties off Google images. In case anyone was wondering.)
Thanks...Captain is a big,squishy boy now!

And I knew they weren't,because the very first picture you posted is from an ex breeder who lives in Ontario.Besides,I would know if you had ratties! Cause I always get excited when someone gets rats around here...haha!

* Lisa *

post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 12:13 PM
Guarded by Waffles

They're so adorable!

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 01:01 PM
is a little "special"

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaRat View Post
Thanks...Captain is a big,squishy boy now!

And I knew they weren't,because the very first picture you posted is from an ex breeder who lives in Ontario.Besides,I would know if you had ratties! Cause I always get excited when someone gets rats around here...haha!

LOL I knew you would know, but maybe some people who didn't know me very well wouldn't. Yeah, you would definitely hear about it if I got ratties!

post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 05:11 PM
RAT ADDICT

My 6 yr old daughter with my rat Thor. He has never bitten her. She loves the rats.

Rats are less likely to bite then hamsters. Chloe (daughter) can handle my rats no problem,but she cannot hold the hamster.

* Lisa *

post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 06:18 PM
is a little "special"

OMG, Thor is a beast! He looks like he would be bigger than my piggies, LOL! Either that, or he just looks really big with Chloe.

post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 06:24 PM
Guarded by Waffles

Oh hamsters and I don't get along. I was trying to tame one and it JUMPED out of the cage to bite my hand. And I was it's last hope. everyone else had given up on it. The teacher then took it back and got gerbils. She said if it would bite me and not let go, they weren't going to get anywhere with it. The gerbils were great but I am not a fan of hamsters, though I can't condem them all for that ones behavior

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 09:04 PM
Betta Bomb

I love little Chloe's smile!
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 11:23 PM
Playful Pup

Contact rescues or breeders in your area. I'm sure they would be happy to help. My mom had the same issue years ago, until I brought rats home.
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 04:42 AM
Newborn Pup

Why not start by just watching them in the pet store?
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 11:58 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
Just wondering... Are you only afraid of mice and rats, or are you scared of hamsters, gerbils, ect too?

Im going to go ahead and post some adorable pics, LOL.

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs17/f/20...hy_Ophelia.jpg

Now, don't those wittle faces just melt your heart??
Jessica are those your pets?

Tags
mouse