I've been catching mice - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
General Rodent Chat Information regarding all rodents or any rodents without their own category.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I've been catching mice

There have been mice in my house tearing up food everywhere, and making a mess of everything.
We were about to get traps for them until I walked in on one of them one day, and after looking at it in the eyes, I couldnt bring myself to have it killed.
So, I've been getting no-kill traps, and I've been trapping them, then putting them in a big cage with food, water, and a hideout.
I'm keeping them in my house until I can catch all of them, or at least most of them, because I dont want to seperate a family.

So, I was wondering. A: Do mice in the same family reproduce if they are kept in a cage together.
and B: It's been snowing alot, so should I wait until it has stopped snowing for a while before releasing them?

"I Knew It Wasn't Berkowitz!!!!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 02:37 AM
Aspires to Stupidity

I really don't know a whole lot about mice. The only answer I have is that yes they can still breed. Unfortunately animals do not care too much about inbreeding. I would put the male and females in seperate cages immediately.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Well, right now I only have 1.
and I'm not too sure how to tell them apart, and I dont really wanna touch them, because I think they're Wood Mice, and I havent read too many good things about their bites.

Also, they've been living together below my freezer for a few months, so I'm not sure if they would think differently about breding if they're in a cage.

"I Knew It Wasn't Berkowitz!!!!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 07:03 PM
Rep Lover

They will breed with there family. It wont matter if there mom dad brother sister or so on.

Also about the snow that might be why there in your house, keeping away from the cold snow out side. Not sure where you can take them but if the snow stops and melts away good i would take them out some where with lots of bushes or trees leaves.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 12:00 AM
Adolescent Pup

I've been using cage trap too... that's more safer..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 01:00 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

The most humane way to get rid of mice is to use a snap trap. I know that sounds cruel but here is the reasoning.

Mice are VERY territorial. If you catch them and release them you most likely won't put them in an area that is neutral territory. There will be a mouse somewhere that will be the "alpha" and the mice will fight to the death. That is NOT a good way to go for the mouse.
If you catch and release you HAVE to get the mouse far enough away from your house and it will come back in. If you do get it far enough away see above ^^.

Wild mice will NEVER make good pets. They most likely will bite exposing you to their diseases. They won't become tame and will be unhappy held in captivity. If your cage isn't secure enough they will escape.

If you catch more then one and they do happen to be male and a female they WILL breed and if you don't separate them they will breed A LOT. You could get 20 mice out of one litter. It is recommended to only have 2 mice per 10 gallon tank, so that is 10 separate tanks. If you leave too many in one tank they will start becoming territorial over food and space and will start eating each other.

So you have a choice....
Catch and release and risk the mouse coming back into the house.
Catch and release and risk releasing the mouse into another mouses territory and them fighting to the death.
Keeping the mice and risk you getting bit and the mouse never really living a happy healthy life because of the captivity.
Using a snap trap and killing the mouse instantly. Once the mouses neck is broken it'll be dead before any pain has registered. If the trap is set correctly it'll kill the mouse 99% of the time.
You say it's cold and snowing where you are...well you have another choice like the ones above.
Catch and release the mouse into the snow..it'll either a)go into another mouses territory and fight to the death, b)come back into your house or c)freeze to death.

I hate to sound harsh about this and I have to say that it took me awhile to even realize that snap traps were the best way to go. Actually I have heard good things about those sonic things you plug into your walls but if you have other pets don't use them because your other pets will hear the frequencies too.

*Missy*
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 08:51 AM
Leo
Driving Diva

If you still live at home, do your parents know you are keeping a WILD mouse in their house?

I agree with Pinkie, and want to add that if you have other pets you need to think about them, wild mice/rats pose a health risk to them.

~Ignorance can be cured with education~

Mom to:
A little girl (6) and a little boy (4), and 2 dogs
Leo and
Gunner

Proud Coastie Sister!!
My brother is in Virginia at FT school !!

RIP Ed
October 2000-November 2007
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 02:30 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
If you still live at home, do your parents know you are keeping a WILD mouse in their house?

I agree with Pinkie, and want to add that if you have other pets you need to think about them, wild mice/rats pose a health risk to them.
Leo that's what I forgot to post about It took me forever to type out that post because I kept forgetting what I wanted to say

*Missy*
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 02:52 PM
Playful Pup

I agree with Pinkie as well.

Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind

Proud owner of Rincewind and Ringo!

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 09:00 PM
Playful Pup

Ah rite ok I think the best thing to do would be to let the mice go in like fields and things as you catch them. Mice in the wild do not like breeding in the family because of keeping their family pure and to stop any handicapped etc coming in but if limited space will probably breed with each other. Plus if you keep them in a cage when it comes to letting them go they will not know how to get food and water.

No kill traps you are doing right I am the same when the cats have brought mice in I have gone and released them back.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 12:05 PM
Adolescent Pup

if i had mice i would take them to the RSPCA or a local animal shelter, sorry but i wouldnt have killed them but thats my opinion.

R.I.P gerbil- tiger
R.I.P gerbil- Benny
R.I.P Hamster - Holly
R.I.P Gerbil- Badger
R.I.P Cat- Blacky
R.I.P bird- jem
Forever i will remeber and miss you
i miss you tocco and the other babies
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 04:18 PM
Playful Pup

I agree that a snap trap is the most humane method if you really need these animals eradicated. Just be sure you prevent any mice from coming back, look up how to mouse proof a house.

Two cats, a dog, thirteen hermit crabs, seven mice (and babies), four African soft fur rats (and babies), two fiddler crabs, five assorted fishies, a mystery snail, an African clawed frog, a corn snake, a ball python, a California king snake
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 10:46 AM
Adolescent Pup

hmm i wouldnt like to use them traps, i would just let them go far away from where you live ....

R.I.P gerbil- tiger
R.I.P gerbil- Benny
R.I.P Hamster - Holly
R.I.P Gerbil- Badger
R.I.P Cat- Blacky
R.I.P bird- jem
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 07:37 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Taking mice far away isn't a good idea. Like I said it is highly unlikely that you will be putting the mouse in neutral territory. If there are other mice around then they WILL fight and being that they're in the wild they will fight to the death.

So like I said, it's either kill them instantly or put them in the wild and let them die slowly.

*Missy*
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 02:09 PM
Adolescent Pup

well i'd still let them go. round where i live there is a park called witton park thats where i would let them go.

R.I.P gerbil- tiger
R.I.P gerbil- Benny
R.I.P Hamster - Holly
R.I.P Gerbil- Badger
R.I.P Cat- Blacky
R.I.P bird- jem

Tags
mice