I've Got Mice!!!!!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
General Rodent Chat Information regarding all rodents or any rodents without their own category.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

I've Got Mice!!!!!!

What do I do!?

I have wild mice in my house.My neighbours told me there were wild mice in the whole building,but I never seen any signs of them,so I never thought anything of it.Well last night I seen a mouse in the kitchen and he was pretty brave too.I tried to catch him so I could put him outside AWAY from the house,but that is when he outsmarted me!

Anyway I have not seen any humane traps in the stores around here in a few yrs now! So I cannot get one of them,unless I order online,but see I want to get rid of the mouse or mice SOON!

I have my own pets and a daughter that could get sick if the mouse/mice are carrying something.I do not wanna risk that.Plus the fact that the mouse/mice will get into food or chew wires and things...I do not like the thought.

So what can I do!?
I never ever had to deal with wild mice in my house before.But now that it is getting colder,I expect to see more this winter!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 10:58 AM
Adolescent Pup

Imma go out on a limb here and say , if you have a mouse you have many mice !!!

I dont know of any humane ways to get rid of them to tell the truth, you could get a cat ? but that can take a long time.

My dad buys poison at canadian tire, and puts it out of reach of other animals etc, like under the washing machine etc, and when they eat it it makes them thirsty, so they go out side in search of water and die outside.

We have had mice in the past and that is the only way i know to get rid of them, i dont think that those traps you set are good, since you have to touch the mouse to get it out of the trap!! which as you said they could be carrying anything !!!

But i have to say in a cold NL winter who could blame the mouse for wanting to come inside huh ?

Goodluck tho !!!!

Korali
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 11:05 AM
Will It Ever Change?

well, i've had house mice, and alll i can say if you see one, it means three...three means nine...nine means, well you get the idea. 2 cases in my life of mice, once at my ex's disgusting apartment (we were stomping mice like winemakers stomp grapes) and once at my house i rented. simply put, unless there's an electronic sonic device that'll drive them away (i've heard of these but they might irritate your rats or dog) then inhumane MIGHT be the only way to go. mice are so tiny that they don't trip most live traps, unless you can rig something up yourself. i've found, at my old house, they like to get into cupboards and garbage bags. trap one in a cupboard then get a bag, hold bag at base of cupboard then slowly open cupboard door, mouse comes flying out to escape adn goes right into the bag. the thing is, you gotta release them a good kilometer away or they just come right back. i just took the bag and whacked it against a tree (sorry folks) because i feared for the health of my pet mousie at the time. we used the inhumane snap traps and caught a dozen over christmas time. i DONT recommend any poisons, with your pets and chloe, don't take the chance. other than that advice, i got nuthin, sorry

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 11:13 AM
rae
Adolescent Pup

yeah no poison could you contact a vermin control company and ask if they have any humane ways of dealing with your little problem you need to react soon or you'll be overrun! my old student pad had rats and one ran over my mates foot in the night when she entered the kitchen and ate a hole!!! in the bathtub!!! we only had to call the company once a friend called exterminators they laid poison and a rat passed away o a hot pipe under the floor they couldn't get to it and called the exterminator to ask what to do in which they replied we just kill em' not move em' lol there place smelt sorry to go off on tangent and good luck keep us informed!
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Oh I am 100% against poison or glue traps,so I would never use those!

I am also afraid that if I called an exterminator,they would say something about my PETS.

* Lisa *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 12:36 PM
rae
Adolescent Pup

ahh i get you im not supposed to have my little ones in my flat also i always figure if they find out id move! hmm yup don't use poison cuz if your ratties got hold of it , well you get me see if there are any quick delivery traps on tinternet? good luck!!! let us no whats going down!
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 08:46 PM
laugh often

they shouldn't say anything about .your pets becasue they are domestic animals and it's your privacy. in the us they can't incrimidate those who allow a buisness in their private life style. I dunno if new foundland is different on that kinda situation though

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down

2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 09:29 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Are there walmarts in canada? I bought humane traps at the walmart here, it was with the rest of the roach spray and stuff like that. I'm surprised you can't find a humane trap ???

*Missy*
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkie1205 View Post
Are there walmarts in canada? I bought humane traps at the walmart here, it was with the rest of the roach spray and stuff like that. I'm surprised you can't find a humane trap ???
Yes,we have Wal-Mart.I seen humane traps ONCE,but never again there.And I have checked other places and there don't seem to be any here.

Newfoundland is a small place and there are loads of things we cannot get here.

* Lisa *

post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 10:18 AM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat View Post

Newfoundland is a small place and there are loads of things we cannot get here.
Yeah that is why i suggested what i did,we couldnt find human traps anywhere, poison was the only way for us to go unfortunately but as I said that was a few years ago.

I used to work at walmart ive never seen a humane trap there, so i dont know what else to suggest.

goodluck to you tho

Korali
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korali View Post
I used to work at walmart ive never seen a humane trap there, so i dont know what else to suggest.
Yeah,like I said I only ever seen them there once! I should of gotten them then.That was yrs ago!

I have not seen the mouse or any signs of mice since that night...but I know they are lurking somewhere as it is incredibly cold out.

* Lisa *

post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 05:43 PM
can't think of one, help

I have been dealing with mice too this year, this is the first year I've had as many as I've had. Last mth I posted about my chocaholic mouse who ate the halloween candy I'd bought for the kids. I confess I have been using poison, and being VERY CAREFUL with it because I have cats and a bunny. DO NOT use those glue traps, those things are horrendously inhumane.
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 07:10 PM
Hello Earthling

you could always make you own Homemade Humane Mousetraps

post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

*sigh*
I don't know what to do!
I JUST found a freshly dead wild mouse in the corner next to my daughter's room.
And I seen a mouse in the kitchen again last night and heard them chewing under my sink as well!

* Lisa *

post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 09:41 PM
can't think of one, help

I know I found one too today, almost stepped on it. Looking at your pet list it doesn't look like you have dogs or cats, so if you put out the poison you would just have to make sure you put it in places your daughter, absolutely couldn't get at. Can you tell approximately where they are getting in? So far I've been able to figure out the places they are getting in so I've put the poison in those places out of reach of my furchildren.

Tags
pet food, pet mice, pet rats