The Jirds are Home!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
General Rodent Chat Information regarding all rodents or any rodents without their own category.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-16-2002, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

The Jirds are Home!!

Ok, I ended up getting both! They are both female, about 6 months old. I have them in a 10gal tank for now and hope to upgrade to a long 25gal soon. They are settling in nicely and I got some pics. Still working on names. These pics aren't great - I'll get some better ones tonight once they've settled in.

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-16-2002, 01:23 PM
Proud New Mommy

awww C!!!!!they are so cute!!! lol how big r they

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-16-2002, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

They're not much bigger than gerbils right now - but from what I have read they grow to about the size of a rat.

I just put a TP roll in for them and they went nuts!! LOL I buried a glass jar under the shavings for them to sleep in - and the one grabbed the roll and backed into the jar and managed to get it in there - now she's chewing on it and then walking out through the tube! LOl

Wife to an amazing man,

|

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-16-2002, 01:37 PM
Proud New Mommy

thats kool. they seem like they're interesting to watch

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-16-2002, 01:47 PM

Congrats C, I am glad to see you got them. Seems like they are fun to watch.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-16-2002, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

They're great!! I took a cholla chew out of Kinjin's cage and gave it to them - now they're going nuts over that! LOL They really need a bigger cage, which I will be on the lookout for, but this one is bigger than the one they were in so I think they'll be ok for the time being.

Wife to an amazing man,

|

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-16-2002, 01:49 PM

Christi, they are SO cute!!! Are they friendly?
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-16-2002, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

They're pretty friendly - no biting - thought they're not thrilled at being held, but I'll work on that!!

Wife to an amazing man,

|

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-16-2002, 01:53 PM

I forgot to ask "Did they chew you apart yet?" remember they bite. LMAO
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-16-2002, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

ROFL!! Yeah, they're VICIOUS!! HAHA!

Wife to an amazing man,

|

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-16-2002, 02:57 PM
Proud New Mommy

ożO....

lol they sound cute

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-16-2002, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

Someone on another forum tried to tell me that they could "take a hunk" out when they bite you... except all the literature says they never bite...

I got them a new home, the 10gal just wasn't cutting it so I went to target and got a huge plastic bin, they are much happier now!! And I got to see that they CAN jump! LOL One of the girls jumped up the side (about 12")!!

Wife to an amazing man,

|

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-17-2002, 02:26 AM
ChinTopia

Congrats

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-17-2002, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

Thanks! He caved but with a "No more. This is it. No more chins, no degus.. nothing!" LOL But there was no way I was walking out of there without them...

Anyone have suggestions for names? So far someone suggested Thelma and Louise!

Wife to an amazing man,

|

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-17-2002, 09:48 AM

I guess you will have to sneak a pair of degus in now.

Tags
food bowl