Lets see those cages - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
General Rodent Chat Information regarding all rodents or any rodents without their own category.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Exclamation Lets see those cages

Hey all! I would love to see everyone's cage set ups for their rodents.
Here is what Samwise's home currently looks like. I can't wait to make it bigger!
Quick, quick, post your cages!

https://home.comcast.net/%7Emarmilla/bigcage.jpg

Admin note: Changed image to link due to size. Please keep width of images under 600 pixels to keep forum use easy for all users.

--------------------
~Marcia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

--------------------------

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 02:06 PM
Formerly known as Lucy_Madden

i'll take new pictures today and post for you all to see

My pets:

2 yorkshires (Ankh and Amy)
4 rats (Aaron, Thor, Lee)
1 hamster (Panda)
13 Guinea piggies
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 02:30 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

This is my degu cage where Basil and Rupert reside, although its minus the sandbath, hammock and Rupert in the picture as all out for cleaning As you can see its fully carpeted to prevent bumble foot (not because they are posh degus ) And the large tank next to it, which you can just about see is the hamsters tank, i'll try to take some more photos later and post

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 07:04 PM
Stinky Liverbrain

Well, my cages are always changing, cause I move things around... but this is basically what I put in them... These are old pictures, though...

10g hamster tank:

5.5g hamster tank (housing a lone dwarf hamster)

Gerbil 20g long tank (this was taken when I didn't knew about the dangers of cedar, 2 years ago... really old picture in which you can see young Martina and Kuzco.. hehe)

Gerbil breeder tank (when they have pups, the safest to do is to remove everything so the pups can't be hurted by an object on the tank)

Top view of a gerbil 25g sterilite bin:

I think those are basically the "types" of cages I have. 8)

Dimaris

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 08:20 PM
Playful Pup

is that a dog's head next to the sterilite bin? wow, so your dogs wouldn't be dangerous to your gerbils?

"Anything good in life is either illegal, immoral, or fattening." ~Pardo
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 08:49 PM
Stinky Liverbrain

Yes, that's Odie... well **Odie** won't be dangerous to my gerbils **while I'm watching him**. He has been with me since a week old and I had some rodents before I got him. He has basically grown up in my room watching me taking the rodents out to play, and I've always let him in the bed (sitting or lying) while I play with them. He's very curious and a bit afraid of them. I would never trust him with them alone, though. Odie's way bigger than the rodents and can harm them even if he didn't mean it (like stepping on them or something). I have 2 other dogs and they are not allowed anywhere near my rodents. They are hunters and have killed various wild green iguanas. They would try to eat any of my rodents in a second. But, Odie is ok with them.

Dimaris

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 01:59 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Red face

Here are 2 piccies of my degus cage! I have tried to get as much plastic out of the cage, as they chew it.. Instead I have ramps made of bits of wood.

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 04:29 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I love your cage Steph, looks lots of fun I used to have ropes in mine till Basil spent two solid days chewing them up and i mean two solid days i don't think he slept or ate or anything till they were destroyed now all he has left is a swing which after a year hes decided to start on again so that will probably be gone soon too

Kirsty

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 05:51 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethystbelle
I love your cage Steph, looks lots of fun I used to have ropes in mine till Basil spent two solid days chewing them up and i mean two solid days i don't think he slept or ate or anything till they were destroyed now all he has left is a swing which after a year hes decided to start on again so that will probably be gone soon too
Thanks Kirsty! Its a large ferret cage, which is not the cage I really want.. I want one which is taller and narrower, so it takes up less space.. Also I want it to be made of galvanised steel, not the plastic coated stuff..
I haven't been able to find one, I really like yet!
I try to change the layout of the cage every few weeks, so they dont get bored! And as I already mentioned, I try to make sure there is no plastic in there.. The ramps are actually made of skirting boards (new) which are cheap to buy.. And as you can see they have loads of things to climb on etc..
I like your cage too, its a bit posh with the carpet in!

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

Last edited by Purplebunny; 03-06-2005 at 05:55 PM.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 05:58 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplebunny
I like your cage too, its a bit posh with the carpet in!
it prevents bumble foot and they both love it, find them curled up fast asleep on it all the time although when they fall out Basil pulls little bits up and makes a "stick" pile outside igloo door like they make in wild to show he's more important that Rupert

Kirsty

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 06:02 PM
Stinky Liverbrain

I got a few more pictures... of the cool setup I made in the 30g for the 7 boys (gerbils) I have now.

A view of the whole cage:

A shot of the left side.. it has a 2 story wooden house, that's attached to another 2 story house by a bit of wood. I hung one of the nets I got from Mandie there.

A shot of the right side, the other wooden house and the other net hanging from the corner. 8)

I build them a house, with some pieces of woos my dad had... but I couldn't put it cause I had no space... but I was thinking or raising the net between the 2 other houses and put is there...

It has an internal shelf. 8)

Dimaris

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 07:18 PM
I Heart My Job

Hmmm...I don't have a camera at the moment and all my old digi-pics got eaten when my hard drive blew up in October. (yes it really did fry. I need to pay like $1000 to get the data recovered but haven't yet because I have other priorities for that type of money.) That being the case, I haven't got any cage pictures right now, but I'll try to take one as soon as I can for you. In the meantime I can describe it...

Squeak (my female, syrian, short-haired hamster) lives in a 20gal aquarium with mesh top weighted down at the corners and in the center by laying paint sticks out over the top in strategic locations (there are 3...unused of course) and then putting old insulators on top of them, 6 all together. When I was younger we used a patio block, but those are rather heavy.

Inside is carefresh bedding, a puzzle playground, a nice wooden block house (largely unused except as a chew-toy), a plastic wheel which is solid on the running part and on the inside side, and a hanging waterbottle. She also has a small blue food dish which she has fun tipping over when she doesn't get her favorite treats.

She likes to build large nests that take up about 1/3 of the tank, which is why I switched from a 10gal to a 20gal. My previous female, Lightfoot (may she rest in peace) did that too and I felt like she had no space. At the moment I'm wondering if it's just a girl thing since none of my male hamsters ever did that. But I digress.

I usually shred up some tissue to help her with nesting material and also those carnival of crinkles she gets sometimes. She likes those. I line the botton of the cage with papertowels to help make it a little easier to clean, and it's not so bad for her to chew if that's what she decides to do either. ^^

I'll work on pictures. I know it's hard to imagine from description.

sparkle->
shadow->

To seize the dragon is to face life.

I've been frosted!
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 08:40 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonmaster
Hmmm...I don't have a camera at the moment and all my old digi-pics got eaten when my hard drive blew up in October. (yes it really did fry. I need to pay like $1000 to get the data recovered but haven't yet because I have other priorities for that type of money.) That being the case, I haven't got any cage pictures right now, but I'll try to take one as soon as I can for you. In the meantime I can describe it...

Squeak (my female, syrian, short-haired hamster) lives in a 20gal aquarium with mesh top weighted down at the corners and in the center by laying paint sticks out over the top in strategic locations (there are 3...unused of course) and then putting old insulators on top of them, 6 all together. When I was younger we used a patio block, but those are rather heavy.

Inside is carefresh bedding, a puzzle playground, a nice wooden block house (largely unused except as a chew-toy), a plastic wheel which is solid on the running part and on the inside side, and a hanging waterbottle. She also has a small blue food dish which she has fun tipping over when she doesn't get her favorite treats.

She likes to build large nests that take up about 1/3 of the tank, which is why I switched from a 10gal to a 20gal. My previous female, Lightfoot (may she rest in peace) did that too and I felt like she had no space. At the moment I'm wondering if it's just a girl thing since none of my male hamsters ever did that. But I digress.

I usually shred up some tissue to help her with nesting material and also those carnival of crinkles she gets sometimes. She likes those. I line the botton of the cage with papertowels to help make it a little easier to clean, and it's not so bad for her to chew if that's what she decides to do either. ^^

I'll work on pictures. I know it's hard to imagine from description.
No i think you described that beautifully and i get the picture My hamsters a male and he's the same he's in a huge tank and his nest by the time he has finished takes up well over half of it, its like a huge fortress

Kirsty

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 06:34 PM
Part of the Pack

Here is my dwarf hammie cage:

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonmaster
I line the botton of the cage with papertowels to help make it a little easier to clean, and it's not so bad for her to chew if that's what she decides to do either. ^^
I did that for Sam's cage and he pulled the paper towel up from under the bedding and ran around his cage with it! Have you ever seen pictures of those ants carrying large leaves.... That's what Sam looked like! He is such a goofball. He was really ticked off when I took the paper towel away from him and riped it into 4ths so he could manage it better.

--------------------
~Marcia

--------------------------

Tags
carefresh bedding, dwarf hamster, nesting material, rat cage