My daughter wants a rodent - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
General Rodent Chat Information regarding all rodents or any rodents without their own category.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Grandma Gravy Hair

My daughter wants a rodent

Well my 11 year old daughter would like to buy a rodent. She has been thinking about it for a very long time now but she don't know what would be best for her. She wants something that she can cuddle and likes to play. My other daughter has a hamster but she is thinking that she may want something different then her sister has. Any Ideas on what would be a suitable pet for her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 07:14 PM
Stinky Liverbrain

I have to say that I love all the rodents... I guess that the most dog-like rodents are rats, and from what I've read, male rats are more cuddly than female rats. I would advice you and your daughter to read about the different rodents available, their behaviours, their needs, and see what she likes, and has what she's looking for... here are some websites to start, if you have an specific question about certain rodent, don't be afraid to ask! 8)

Good, general info on all of them:
http://www.petwebsite.com

Mice:
http://www.rmca.org/Resources/mousefaq.htm
http://www.hiiret.fi/eng/mice/index.html
http://www.mayleen.com/rcentral/mousecare.htm
http://www.ahc.umn.edu/rar/MNAALAS/MiceRat.html

Rats:
http://www.rmca.org/Resources/rmcafaq.htm
http://www.curiosityrats.com
http://www.dapper.com.au/

Gerbils:
http://www.abcgerbils.com/care.html
http://www.gerbils.co.uk/
http://www.agsgerbils.org/
http://www.geocities.com/kimsgerbils/

Dimaris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 09:15 PM
Part of the Pack

I'd say a rat is suitable for an 11 year old, they're sweet, smart, affectionate, not prone to biting ( all of my time having rats I've never been biten) they don't smell, and they can be trained to do tricks.
Just don't let hamster and rat meet each other, ratty's a predator.
(I may be baised, but it's undeniable that those qualities in an animal makes for a great pet)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 05:13 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I agree with everyone else a rat is probably the way to go as they love cuddles (they are the most cuddly pet i have had) and as much affection as you can give. They also love interaction and will happily play for hours. Male rats are more cuddly and much more lazy and will normally hapoily fall asleep on you for a few hours whereas females tend to be more active and want to explore. All in all they make a great first pet as they rarely bite (i never got bitten once when i used to keep rats and i had a fair few) unlike other small animals, they love attention, they love cuddles, they are big enough to handle properly and are fun pets to have around and learn more about rodents with

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 12:30 PM
Suffers from Title Envy

rats.
two boys! you really should get two rats, they are very socail critters

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 05:30 PM
Adolescent Pup

I love all rodents but rats.Sorry I know there sweet but they just freak me out.I like mice and gerbils and every other rodent.I personaly would get a gerbil.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 05:34 PM
Adolescent Pup

Rats are a good choice.

Guinea pig if she is responsible enough. I had one when I was her age and he was the best pet. They do require a bit more attention when it come to cleaning and nutrition as well as more space for a cage. But they are cuddley and love to play.

NaTaLiE

Setsuki (std) Coolio (bv) Butters (pw) & Diamond (sap) the chinchillas
Mortimer the cat
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-29-2006, 09:27 PM
Adolescent Pup

id say a ret they are affordableactive and intellagent. I'd also suggest getting two just in case your daughter forgets to give it enough attention because rats are extreamly social animals and need company.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-29-2006, 09:31 PM
I Have Foot-In-Mouth Syndrome

I am going to have to agree with most everyone else and say that a rat would be a good pet for an 11 year old. They love to be handled and played with. Mine always run over to the door when we walk by hoping we'll take them out for playtime.

I got a valentine!

3 cats, Yazi, Bit, and Thunder
8 rats, Bob, Cocoa, Zara, Kennit, Aviendha, Skewer, Bean, and Raleigh
3 mice, Briella, Sophie, and Jackson
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-30-2006, 03:01 PM
Newborn Pup

A rat is definitely your best choice. But try to find a breeder near you. Pet store rats tend to be ill, poorly socialized, and if you get a female, she'll most likely be pregnant (pet stores don't "sex" them well)! Buy a pair, either sex, because they are very social and need a buddy. Get a cage with ramps and levels, not an aquarium. They are very clean and can be litter box trained! Learn more about them at www.ratfanclub.org Most people who get rats end up loving them SO much they won't have any other type of rodent! Any questions, please ask! Good luck!
Chrisanne,
loved and owned by 9 beautiful, spoiled ratties
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 07:05 PM
RAT ADDICT

I agree...you should probably go with a rat.Or your daughter I mean! They are affectionate,friendly,clean,bond with their owners,playful,active and easily trained.

Males are more laid back then females and are more cuddly and better as a "lap rat",while females are curious and super active (most times) and love exploring.Both sexes make awesome pets tho.If you do decide on a rat,make sure you get 2 of the same sex.Rats are very social and need to be in at least a pair.Oh and just to let you know,males have a habit of scent marking everything they think they own! So if thats an undesirable trait for you,your best to go with females!I know many people who love rats,but dislike the males marking everything.

Also if you decide on a rat,please avoid the pet stores.Go to a rescue and adopt a pair of rats in need or go to a reputable breeder.Rats come in all colors,varities and coat types!

Here are a few pics of my babies...some of them!

Karma enjoying the outdoors!

Jellyroll having a bath!

Armand and Sundae in my laps outdoors!

Zephyr

Sprite checking things out!

Sorry for the photo overload,but I love showing my babies off and since your daughter is a potential rat owner,I have to show how cute they are!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 10:12 PM
Adolescent Pup

I would suggest a rat or a guinea pig. Both are very good pets, especially for an 11 year old. I had both when I was a kid. The only problems with rats is, they don't live very long. I always get so attached to my "babies".

There is no one TRUE way

* Chloe * Jinx * Berry *
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 12:57 AM
Adolescent Pup

you guys are making me want to go get a rat..lol

Shelby,Cojah, and Fuzz-Butt
Along with 7 tiny new members
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Grandma Gravy Hair

Well thanks everyone for the helpful tips.. My daughter Taylor is very good with pets. She has had a Cockatiel now for two years and lots of fish. She has her tiel on a real good diet, cleans up after her and spends lots and lots of time with her. I know that she would be a real good mommy to anuther pet. The only thing that I am worried abut is we are starting to run out or room.. Oh well whats a house with out pets. I think she is going to go with a rat. She has been reserching now for over 4months. I will give it until school starts back up so I know for sure she will be able to handel it with her other pets and school work. well thanks again you are all wonderful help.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 07:21 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren_201
I would suggest a rat or a guinea pig. Both are very good pets, especially for an 11 year old. I had both when I was a kid. The only problems with rats is, they don't live very long. I always get so attached to my "babies".
Yeah,sadly thats the only downside to rats.They live to 2-3 yrs and sometimes 4!My oldest rat ever was almost 3.But thats why I make the most out of the time I have with them!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *

Last edited by VanillaRat; 08-03-2006 at 07:25 PM.

Tags
box trained, female rat, female rats, guinea pig, litter box, litter box trained, male rat, male rats, pet store, pet store rats, pet stores, reputable breeder, social animals