Need Expert Advice/Opinions! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
General Rodent Chat Information regarding all rodents or any rodents without their own category.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Need Expert Advice/Opinions!

Hello everyone! First post Sooo, I am looking to get a cute fury mammal and I can't decide what to get! My situation is a little complicated.. I live with my rents in a pretty darn small room. I haven't even talked to them about getting a pet because I want to KNOW what I want so they are more likely to be ok with it. Okay so it seems that I'm choosing between several small rodents and the top 2 are a Syrian hamster and a degu. I need something that doesn't require a huge cage and I wanted just ONE pet (mostly because my parents would be more likely to allow it ) but it seems most of these guys get depressed without a buddy.

That's why I was thinking I should get a Syrian hamster but they're also nocturnal which I'm pretty sure won't suite my schedule. I would like to know when exactly they sleep and wake and all that though. I usually go to bed between 9:30-12 depending on the day (occasionally past 12 on weekends) and I'm at work or school for a good portion of that time. I do however have some spare time and spend time at the house doing homework so I wouldn't be neglecting the poor thing don't worry! Anyway, I like the degu guys as well but I'm not really sure which is more likely to be my bff lol. I would feel bad if one of the degus felt neglected while I was playing with the other one and i'm not sure I could watch two at the same time (I'm a techie so there's plenty of wires in my room) while out of their cage.

I also don't really know anything about gerbils so maybe that's another option? I'd like the little guy(s) to be clean too but they all seem to be pretty decent from I've read online. Thanks for taking the time to read all of this! I'm pretty open minded so any suggestions and advice are welcome. I can't say I know a ton of species of rodents so I'm sure there's something I'm not thinking of (just starting researching today actually).

-Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 02:21 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

2 female mice could be an option they are slighty more skittish but can be your best friends too and you can have a smaller cage, males tend to smell more, degus do best in pairs and require a good size cage. Serians can be nice and they can be mean as well...

I would sugest 2 rats but they again take a larger cage but are great pets and worth looking into they are also social.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 03:27 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

If you only want one then I'd go for a Syrian hamster but if you have a problem with them being nocturnal then I'd go for 2 female mice like kendalle said (or personally I like gerbils more than mice and they don't smell so I'd go for two gerbils, they really enjoy company).

Veronica
0.1.0 Budgie- "Lovy"
1.0.0 Siamese Fighting Fish "Jet"
0.2.0 Dogs "Dina & Curra"
0.2.2 Leopard Geckos "Congo, Egypt, Zimbawe & Ghana"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 12:40 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Degus need large cages so i wouldn't recommend one not to mention they also like company of their own kind. I agree get a gerbil they are clean and omit little to no odour and like degus are up and about in the day

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 10:39 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

I would go for the 2 female mice. They can become REALLY tame (especially if you find 2 from a breeder) and they're just a lot of fun. They also dont have a tendency to bite.

*Missy*
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 02:37 PM
Zippy Chickenshorts

I think two rats, to be honest.
They can ajust to time sceduels and they are wonderful to have
xxx

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Wow lots of posts! Thanks everyone for replying Unfortunately, after much consideration (and a $260 car repair! ) that I decided I would rather wait until I have a place of my own. I would like to get 2 rats however when that times comes. I figured I'd want a big cage for the little guys and enough money/time (saving up ) to support them to the fullest extent! Besides, nobody would take care of them if I had to go away cause everyone in my house is lame. Again, thanks for the replies everyone!

Tags
hamster or degus