Odor of mice - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
General Rodent Chat Information regarding all rodents or any rodents without their own category.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Odor of mice

Hello, I have been wanting to purchase some pet fancy mice for quite some time now. However, my mother insists that they produce a very foul stench. I insisted that if I took proper care of them it wouldn't even be noticeable. She keeps a dog that smells awful and my sister has a guinea pig that she never puts up a fuss about. Do mice really produce such an odor, or do you think she is over reacting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 12:32 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Male mice can have a smell but honestly I don't think it's that bad. They will smell really bad when you bring them home until they get used to their food and surroundings. It may take them some time to get used to the different smells and they like to scent mark a lot. There are some products you can buy to put in their water bottles that supposedly take the smell away. My solution is to just clean their cages every week and don't go CRAZY in cleaning them. IMO mice will go crazy scent marking more if you clean everything in their cage everyday.

Now on the other hand female mice don't have a strong smell but you'll have to get 2 as they're social. With then you just have to make sure that you clean every week, and it's always a good idea to get rid of any wet bedding you see. Also make sure to clean their wheels because sometimes they have a habit of peeing while they're running..lol
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 06:45 PM
Adolescent Pup

Like pinkie1205 said, males tend to stink a bit more, in my opinion. I used to have some male mice, and they really really scent mark alot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 10:23 PM
Curmudgeon

Like has already been stated, there is an odor, it can vary, depending on how clean you keep their enclosure. I've never been in anyone's house that had mice, that you couldn't detect the odor of their mice. I have so say that maybe I'm sensitive to it, but I really don't care for the odor of mice either.

If your mom already has it in her head that she is going to smell them, ..and not like them... you can bet she is going to smell them and not like them.

Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.

Tags
mice odor stench smell